Overpriced lighting

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol it depends on what parts you use. If your buying specific leds by diode, good drivers etc basically quality parts all around LEDs can be expensive, they can also be done very cheap. The lights on my 155 display ran about $1800 and I built them so there's no warranty, no customer support, no labor, no r and d, etc in that cost. My build thread is in my profile if your curious. Some diodes alone cost $3-5 some are $1-2 my 14 amber diodes, for example, ran about $5 each for example.

derekrstout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not wrong at all!
Complete rip off, with super high margins and high Labour costs.

That’s why I bought a CBB, Chinese Black Box, a Visparspectra, which cost me 150 Cdn.
I was surprised at the high quality, running 3.5 years now, and most important.....grow anything well.

The Radion is $700 dollars more each and I needed two.
So for $1400, I get more controls which corals don’t use, just the light, nice and simple.

B152E76F-1A33-408A-8917-24E3C0D51587.jpeg
What are your setting on your light. Also How high are your lights mounted over the water. There was a great excel sheet on reddit for these lights but it’s not available anymore.

Rching215

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know name brand lights like Kessil and Radion rights are high quality and have a lot of r&d cost but isn’t led lights relatively cheap to produce? I can’t see a xr-30 costing more than $250 to produce and they charge close to $850. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t see how they have that much going in to a light
I just upgraded from black boxes to reef breeders. So far so good. It allows you to control 6 channels, programmable and dimmable. Spent $700, rather $1600 for radions.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back