Oversized Skimmer

mavrik132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a My Reef Creations MR-3 skimmer on the side of the road last weekend. It appears to be on good condition as side from needing some o-rings.

I'm planning a 120-200 gal tank in the next few years. I know skimmer ratings are not an exact science and shouldn't be followed too closely but I'm worried this skimmer is way oversized. Their site does make mention the MR-3 is the same foot print as the MR-2 (300 Gal tank and 24 in tall instead of 500 gal tank and 32 in tall) with a longer dwell time.

Is this worth selling and finding something more appropriately sized or should I keep this one and or possibly modify it? It seems like a really well built skimmer...

Manufacturer's specs: https://www.mrcamerica.com/signature/

Thanks,
Nick

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your bioload
When it comes to skimmer slightly undersized is most effective.
Another words... if skimmer is too big there’s not enough proteins to bind and float to top/into cup and you collect nothing. Even though there are some proteins, not enough to work as intended. When skimmer is too big it will also be harder to dial in ideal skimmer water level

OP
OP
M

mavrik132

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your bioload
When it comes to skimmer slightly undersized is most effective.
Another words... if skimmer is too big there’s not enough proteins to bind and float to top/into cup and you collect nothing. Even though there are some proteins, not enough to work as intended. When skimmer is too big it will also be harder to dial in ideal skimmer water level
Sorry for my delayed response.

Thank you very much for your help.

Looks like I need to sell this one and scope out another one.

Any suggestions for a 120-200 gal tank? I've never had a skimmer before but I've always been interested in running one.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back