Oxydator’s and Their Use In The Fight Against White Spot Part 2

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Les Melling 27/03/2018
OK, I am aware the following post is going to be somewhat controversial but I make no apologies for along with it being posted on another forum 2 days ago so an update will be given at the end of this article.
Before I say anything more Oxydator’s will not cure white spot or itch, period. I am not going to bore you all with the life cycle of white spot or the cures for it. There are more than enough articles out there you can look up some very good some not so. However, what many don’t tell you is why fish die from white spot so I will state it here.
The spots you see on the fish’s body are very unlikely to kill the fish its more often the spots you are unlikely to see that are the real killers, the spot that invades the gills of the fish are the deadliest. These parasites can become so numerous covering the insides of the gills that the fish dies from asphyxiation blocking off much needed oxygen and the raspatory system fails to deliver the O2 to the rest of the body of the fish. The fish is literally smothered to death.
Now we have that out of the way just what can the use Oxydator’s do in the fight against the dreaded white spot? Using an Oxydator sized correctly with the correct % of peroxide and number of catalysts is quite simply like putting an oxygen mask on the fish allowing more oxygen to pass into the gills between the spots. Of course, if the spots manage to completely cover the gills then little or no oxygen will pass through and it is important to use an Oxydator as soon as diagnosis of white spot has been confirmed.
In all my years keeping marines I have only encountered white spot in my tank on 2 occasions and in the last 25 years or so I have not had a single serious outbreak of white spot in any of the tanks I have owned using Oxydator’s. I am not suggesting the use of Oxydator’s will prevent the parasites invading your fish but I will suggest Oxydator’s are an aid in fighting it by increasing the available oxygen to the fish and keeping your tank water at optimum O2 levels which can only be a good thing.
Oxydator’s do not only keep the tank water at optimum O2 levels but also helps clean the water by oxidising organics and the compounds in the water leading to cleaner water and helping to create a better environment for your fish and corals. When used correctly you tank water will stay gin clear and sparkling. Ammonia will be neutralised along with nitrite and the whole tank will take on a more vibrant look, but I digress. However, the increase in water quality Oxydator’s bring is to be welcomed.
My current tank’s capacity is a little shy of 100 UK gallons and very heavily stocked with both fish and corals. I have some delicate SPS and fish in the system along with a H.magnifica anemone which is thriving along with the hosted clowns. My most delicate fish are 2 angels, a Multibar and a Real angle. I also have one Tang a sliver spot and numerous other small fish inc Royal grammas which are quite an itch catcher in fact when I last added a RG it broke out in a few white spots but they were gone within 2 days and none of the other fish showed any signs of white spot. My royal grammas continue to show no further evidence of white spot.

I have never quarantined a fish in my life and since using Oxydator’s I have not had a serious outbreak of disease in any of my tanks for over 25 years. I don’t put that down solely to the use of Oxydator’s that is another story for another time. Enough to say I firmly believe they are a great aid in helping to keep a healthy thriving well stocked reef aquarium.

In the above set up which I may add is well filtered with a powerful skimmer, Siporax, live rock in the DT and an efficient algae turf scrubber I have 2 Oxydator model A’s with 2 catalysts running 9% Hydrogen peroxide. I also have a lot of water movement in the DT.

Up until recently I was using 12% peroxide but lowered it to 9% as I don’t feel my tank need the extra 3% strength. Sochting recommends no more than 6% peroxide and 2 catalysts in most of their aquarium models depending on tank size and stocking levels which equals bio-load. However, I have doubled their recommendations at times without ill effect when I was experimenting with them all those years ago.

The 2 Oxydator’s are situated in the sump in the only place I can fit them next to the incoming water from the DT. Ideally, I would like them near the return pump but alas I don’t have the space in my 3’ sump. In fact, the best place to fit an Oxydator is in the DT itself But I don’t even have room to put them in the rear corners as I have so much coral preventing it.

I have a good friend with a relatively new 300 gallon system, he loves tangs and has a number of them. Recently he bought a large Regal angel which only lived a few days and introduced white spot into his aquarium.

My friend does not have Oxydator’s in his system, well that was until the dreaded white spot broke out and infected most of his fish and especially his tangs which have a good or should that be bad covering of white spot. When he phoned me to tell me of the outbreak I immediately told him to cover over and I lent him both my Oxydator’s and 12% peroxide while he waiting for a large Oxydator W to arrive that I told him to order.

I have my Oxydator’s back and he has had the Oxydator W in his tank the last few days with the 12% peroxide and no less than 4 catalysts. Currently, the fish still have white spot but they are feeding and swimming around fine with no losses. Only time will tell if they can fight the white spot off which is the hope of course. His corals are also remaining unaffected by the high concentration of Oxygen in the water. You have to remember Hydrogen peroxide is a powerful bleach (ladies used to use it to bleach heir hair hence the term bleached blond) and you don’t want much if any to get into the DT. The Oxydator breaks most of the peroxide down into water and what Sochting call “activated oxygen” This is many ways is similar to ozone.

A word of warning, if peroxide gets into the DT in any great quantity corals and especially anemone’s will react negatively to it so you do have to be careful with its use.
The above is just my experience and observations, I am aware it does not represent a scientific study and you may wish to call it anecdotal if you will.

*UPDATE*
I heard from my friend this morning and he gave me an update on the condition of his fish and especially his tangs, he has a sailfin which was the most infected with white spot, a regal, purple, Sohal, bristle tooth and one or two more.

It is now 4 days since the outbreak was noticed and since when the Oxydators I lent him which were replaced with the Oxydator W 2 days ago. To date he has lost no fish, all are eating like pigs and apart from scratching they are behaving normally. His purple tang has no spots on it what so ever that he can see. The sailfin has notably fewer spots on it along with the rest of his tangs. His clowns of which he has 6 all remain white spot free along with his wrasses.

Still early days I know but the present situation is encouraging. I will report back as and when either good news or bad. Watch this space if at all interested.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what you’re experiencing is most likely either the life cycle of ich, or a fish’s immune system fighting off the parasite. Perhaps both.

Unfortunately, velvet is so common that these days this practice is almost guaranteed to implode because it won’t work with velvet.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what you’re experiencing is most likely either the life cycle of ich, or a fish’s immune system fighting off the parasite. Perhaps both.
And perhaps neither.
My post is not of the first that I know of that Oxydators have been used to aid breathing of fish heavily infected by White spot here in the UK. The technology is known to aid fish breath when under attack from white spot invading the gills. I don't hear of Velvet being as common here in the UK as white spot. I have no experience of Velvet either with or without the use of Oxydators and little directly with white spot, my fish have not shown signs of such in about 9 tanks in 25 years and I NEVER quarantine fish. I and others are convinced Oxydator's are a great help in fighting white spot by aiding the breathing of the fish but then I would say that, wouldn't I? Maybe my friend's tangs will take a turn for the worse and become more infected again, maybe they will make a full recovery and maybe they would have recovered anyway without the use of Oxydator's, we may never know.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke to my friend yesterday evening and he reports all fish are much better and just a few spots remain on a couple of fish. Sam has had white spot twice before each time he has lost some fish. This time he noticed that with using the Oxydator following the outbreak and despite the fish being covered in white spot, in particular, his sailfin tang, they all continue to breathe normally. Previously even with the fish that survived the outbreak, the gills were flared and the fish showed rapid mouth and gill movement, there were no such signs of breathing issues with the Oxydator installed this time. Obviously with a few spots remaining he is not out of the woods just yet but there is a vast improvement and things are looking good. More to follow and hopefully, it will be more good news.
The Oxydator Range the W model being the largest in the photo.
soechting_oxydatoren.jpg

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke to my friend this afternoon about 1pm (UK time) he reports all fish no longer showing any signs of white spot, no losses, all feeding and breathing normally including the sailfin tang which was covered from head to tail in spots, at no time did it or his other fish stop feeding or breath abnormally in any way. Some would say coincidence or that would have been the case without the use of the Oxydator. My friend has lost fish in the past to white spot and is amazed his tangs especially pulled through and continued to feed and breath normally throughout the period the Oxydator was in use plus he suffered no losses. He is convinced and so am I that the Oxydator made a big difference in his fish fighting off the white spot.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@atoll Your friend use 12 % and 4 catalyst. Have you any idea how much H2O2 (in ml) that was going out into the aquaria during the first days. How its the situation presently for your friend. I know it works too and IMO - there is two mechanisms working. The level of O2 (oxygen gas) will be higher - probably 100 % saturation especially when it a high dose of peroxide daily. I can write pages of evidences why this make it easier for fish to breath – even if the gills are covered with parasites. The other reason why it works is the creation of active oxygen radicals of different species by surplus peroxide that will enter the DT when running the oxydator that way (12 % and 4 catalyst). It will have the same function as running ozone in high concentrations and weaken/kill the parasite in the free swimming stage. I have done this both with ozone and oxydators.

Please come back with more information - how its the fish today and how did the corals manage the treatment

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if there is any evidence that this effect is any different than adding small amounts of hydrogen peroxide directly to the tank, which people also claim has these effects. :)

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious if there is any evidence that this effect is any different than adding small amounts of hydrogen peroxide directly to the tank, which people also claim has these effects. :)

No - IMO - its the same effect but the oxydator is a genius dosing system that works 24/7 and will not destroy any dosing equipment.

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great posts all, I run my oxydators for the tanks in general, more a coral person than a fish person
@Randy Holmes-Farley , interesting question, others will hopefully comment, no scientific studies as far as I know, ... I wouldn't run a tank without them now, I don't test or have probes in my tanks so can't give you orp proof
They make your water gin clear and less algae issues, my understanding is that it speeds detritus break down, not a scientific person here just a keen hobbyist!
Might be worth a study!? ;)

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@atoll Your friend use 12 % and 4 catalyst. Have you any idea how much H2O2 (in ml) that was going out into the aquaria during the first days. How its the situation presently for your friend. I know it works too and IMO - there is two mechanisms working. The level of O2 (oxygen gas) will be higher - probably 100 % saturation especially when it a high dose of peroxide daily. I can write pages of evidences why this make it easier for fish to breath – even if the gills are covered with parasites. The other reason why it works is the creation of active oxygen radicals of different species by surplus peroxide that will enter the DT when running the oxydator that way (12 % and 4 catalyst). It will have the same function as running ozone in high concentrations and weaken/kill the parasite in the free swimming stage. I have done this both with ozone and oxydators.

Please come back with more information - how its the fish today and how did the corals manage the treatment

Sincerely Lasse
Hi Lasse,
Just spoken to my friend about how he is getting on with his Oxydator. He is still using 12% peroxide and 4 catalysts.
He reports that during the first month he was replenishing the peroxide every 4 to 5 days. However, now the peroxide is lasting approximately 2 weeks. He says his tank water is clearer and strangely enough his skimmer works better pulling more out even if a little lighter skimmate. All fish and corals are doing very well with no signs of any adverse reaction with either.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley There could be one important differences between applying H2O2 with an oxydator and applying it the manual way. The oxydator gives nearly the same amount of peroxide out to the water 24/7 - it means that the concentration in the water will be the same. Amount of free H2O2 will vary in some way because the concentration of H2O2 in the dosing container will be lowered with time. If you have found the perfect dosage - you will have it in your aquarium 24/7. It could be important with white spot treatment because there is signs that the free swimming stage often will occur in the morning.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been telling people about Oxydators for more years than I care to remember. I have been asked to supply scientific dater, results of quantity trials and all manner of facts that can be supported by them. Because I am a simple hobbyist with no scientific background my observations over many years using Oxydators in many different aquariums apparently means little without controlled scientific proof. Of course, I can't supply it to satisfy the doubters. However, over the many years I have been using Oxydators I know the results they give and not just me of course but many users have discovered similar benefits of using Oxydators. I make no apology for not being able to carry out multiple controlled scientific experiments with results including that of laboratory grade equipment.
I am a retired carpenter ( no such thing actually, once a carpenter always a carpenter no getting away from it) who has been keeping marines for over 36 years and using Oxydators for over 25 of them just observing and carrying out crude experiments on my various aquariums. I am not in a position to do much more than to report my experiences. I don't need scientific proof of what I observe but respect those who strongly believe in such evidence in order to be convinced of the benefits Oxydators can bring to your reef and fish only aquariums.
Until I started posting about Oxydators very few in the US etc had even heard of them let alone used one and not just post on this forum but on a number of prominent US forums as well as UK forums. I don't feel I need to justify what I witness using Oxydators, you either try for yourself or get somebody to do the experiments to obtain the scientific evidence you seek. I know the benefits and the possible pitfalls, pitfalls being few and far between.
Lots of information and posts can be found by Googling Oxydators but you won't find much in the way of controlled scientific evidence and lost of the posts are from me trying my best to answer questions about Oxydators.

Maybe it's time for one of the marine expert gurus to investigate Oxydators much deeper as I am most definitely not the man to do so but then you already know that.

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doing it! I’m going with an oxydator in my quest for an immune reef.

I have a 200 us gallon system (approximately)

Would you run the W model or two A models?

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doing it! I’m going with an oxydator in my quest for an immune reef.

I have a 200 us gallon system (approximately)

Would you run the W model or two A models?
If you can house a W model then go with that. However 2 A's would also be fine running 6 or 9% peroxide and 2 catalysts each. If running a W use 9% and 2 or more catalysts. All depends on your stocking level and how much you feed.

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking level is low right now... only 4 small fish as the tank is still new - 8 months old.

I just went through a fallow period and lost every single fish I tried to QT (10 in total) so I’m trying something different this time around. I believe I have room for a W in my return pump section.

The oxydator, live foods and homemade foods to introduce bacteria and pathogens and hopefully my fish will be better equipped to handle life in a glass box.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking level is low right now... only 4 small fish as the tank is still new - 8 months old.

I just went through a fallow period and lost every single fish I tried to QT (10 in total) so I’m trying something different this time around. I believe I have room for a W in my return pump section.

The oxydator, live foods and homemade foods to introduce bacteria and pathogens and hopefully my fish will be better equipped to handle life in a glass box.

One of the many beauties of running Oxydators is that they can grow with upgrades either by buying more, upping the concentration of peroxide and or increasing the number of catalysts. With a low bio load use a lower % of peroxide and or just 1 catalyst and observe your water and animals.

Nopy117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At best its just another method of ich management, which Im all for, since its the method I've had the most success with so far, this seems to be in the same vein as UV and proper-frequently fed nutritious diet, as @4FordFamily mentioned however, if velvet manages to get in, you will struggle with any management method. This is why I still recommend either a long winded observation period at the lfs to ensure you wont introduce the big 3 nasties (Velvet/Brook/Uronema) or an observational Qt at home, only treating if the nasties show up, while managing the minor stuff like ich in the DT.

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke to my friend this afternoon about 1pm (UK time) he reports all fish no longer showing any signs of white spot, no losses, all feeding and breathing normally including the sailfin tang which was covered from head to tail in spots, at no time did it or his other fish stop feeding or breath abnormally in any way. Some would say coincidence or that would have been the case without the use of the Oxydator. My friend has lost fish in the past to white spot and is amazed his tangs especially pulled through and continued to feed and breath normally throughout the period the Oxydator was in use plus he suffered no losses. He is convinced and so am I that the Oxydator made a big difference in his fish fighting off the white spot.

I'm sold on this product but can't find it :(. I need the A model.

Can you use this in QT? I like the fact that this can work without power

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back