Oxygen Question for Fluval Sea Evo 13.5

SuperFly1414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I am very new here, and it is the first time I am setting something up like. I have the Skimmer that you can buy for this tank. I am taking it very slowly, but I have 2 Orange Storm Clowns in it as well as 2 hermit crabs. I have a Current Wave pump (660 gph) between the pump and the skimmer is this enough oxygen added to the tank for the clowns? in about 8ish months I want to add an anemone, and a few corals but I want to make sure everything is perfect for them. I can get an air pump if needed.

Here is a little photo of them for you all! This was about 2 weeks ago. I am going through the Diatom bloom now, and looks like I am just getting out of it here shortly.

IMG_0094.jpg

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer didn’t do much for me and it broke about 3 months in. I replaced it with a media basket and a flow director and filter floss. Nitrates at 2 phosphates are .02 and WC every 2 weeks. No wavemakers just my sncerya silent 1.0 and RFG. Oxygen is typically not a huge issue and early signs are a drop in pH. What is your peak pH?

OP
OP
SuperFly1414

SuperFly1414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer didn’t do much for me and it broke about 3 months in. I replaced it with a media basket and a flow director and filter floss. Nitrates at 2 phosphates are .02 and WC every 2 weeks. No wavemakers just my sncerya silent 1.0 and RFG. Oxygen is typically not a huge issue and early signs are a drop in pH. What is your peak pH?

Ya, I am not really surprised about the skimmer. It does seem a little cheap. I have been doing water changes every week so far. I plan on upgrading the water pump at some point as well. my pH is about about 7.8. Hard to tell with colors sometime. I plan on getting Seneye at some point as well.

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, beautiful clowns you have there!!!
+1 on the InTank media basket. I also tried the skimmer that’s made for the Evo 13.5. It’s now sitting on my workbench collecting dust. I think as long as your filter “jets” and wave maker are breaking the surface tension of the water, you’re fine as far as oxygenation.

OP
OP
SuperFly1414

SuperFly1414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect there is adequate O2 if the surface of the tank is clean of floating material and is visibly moving.

I had the same feeling, but I wanted to make sure. Surface is going through the first Diatom bloom right now, so I will keep a close eye on it. Thanks!

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With an open top cubish aquarium and 660 gph flow, you shouldn't have any oxygen issues. I used to house two adult clowns in a 12g with 210 gph flow for a few years and never had any issues.

Consider that on a wild reef, oxygen levels naturally drop at night due to the lack of photosynthesis and the respiration of both plants and animals.

OP
OP
SuperFly1414

SuperFly1414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, beautiful clowns you have there!!!
+1 on the InTank media basket. I also tried the skimmer that’s made for the Evo 13.5. It’s now sitting on my workbench collecting dust. I think as long as your filter “jets” and wave maker are breaking the surface tension of the water, you’re fine as far as oxygenation.

Thank you! I usually do not go for clowns ever since Finding Nemo, but this is the first time I saw clowns, and fell in love with them, and I took them home. They have a beautiful blue glow to them when the light starts going into night mode. Ill see if I can get a photo.

I got the InTank basket for the second chamber, and filled it with bio media, and I cut the sponge up to cover the top.

I have a feeling that at some point, my skimmer may be sitting on the bench as well....but it is nice to have that extra something. If anyone knows of a much more better one for the Evo, let me know. What ever I can do to upgrade this to make it good for the fish. I got the Current pump on a pulse mode, so I do have some good water movement, and I have plenty of old pumps from old tanks.

OP
OP
SuperFly1414

SuperFly1414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With an open top cubish aquarium and 660 gph flow, you shouldn't have any oxygen issues. I used to house two adult clowns in a 12g with 210 gph flow for a few years and never had any issues.

Consider that on a wild reef, oxygen levels naturally drop at night due to the lack of photosynthesis and the respiration of both plants and animals.

Thank you! It is nice to hear!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.0%
Back