Oxygen tank to raise pH?

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If carbon dioxide needs to be off gassed to raise pH and we also put the skimmer line outside to pull in fresher air, would a small canister with a steady stream of compressed oxygen and an air stone be a good way to raise pH?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think that there's a whole bunch of expensive and extreme measures concerning taking the co2 out of the air if the current absorbers aren't enough, that would still be cheaper than constantly refilling oxygen bottles, not to mention potential safety concerns with where all that oxygen ends up

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t read but oxygen has nothing to do with pH, pumping oxygen into room won’t help, you need to remove co2
Unless yr tank is oxygen limited, isn’t that why when you open window / use outside line in skimmer the ph will rise?

ChrisOFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a device called a Sochting Oxydator if you want to increase oxygen levels in your tank. It uses a catalyst reaction with H2O2 to break off the extra oxygen molecule. It will super saturate your tank with oxygen but it does not affect pH. You have to reduce CO2 in the water to do that.

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'm getting it, I think. So it's not the saturation of oxygen but the reduction of CO2. I thought they were antagonists though and why does the airline thing work? Isn't it just higher oxygen/low co2 air coming in?

Also, people use pressurized co2 for cal reactors. Not seeing too much if a difference regarding safety procedures. Right?

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run an air pump into a tube containing co2 absorbing media that outputs into the tank via air stone. This raises pH by reducing the co2 prior to injecting it into the water. I do this because I don’t get good results using a co2 reactor on my skimmer.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless yr tank is oxygen limited, isn’t that why when you open window / use outside line in skimmer the ph will rise?

nope, oxygen is not the reason open window work. It works because the outside air has lower CO2 concentration than indoor air.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF my memory serves me, oxygen won’t displace carbon dioxide from the water and CO2 dissolves far more readily in H20 than O2 does.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention having a high pressure O2 tank, and slowly leaking high purity O2 into an enclosed space (your tank stand and ultimately your house) is potentially a recipe for disaster. High pressure, high purity O2 is dangerous stuff, the amount of oil on your hands can cause a flash fire in the right circumstances. Lots of unseen things to think about if anyone out there is contemplating this.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Randy will be proud that the forum largely sorted out this often-confused concept without needing him. :)
Previously, he's had to argue this point repeatedly for pages.)

To reiterate what others said: O2 doesn't move pH, CO2 does. More O2 doesn't mean less CO2. And outside air usually raises pH by lowering CO2, not increasing O2 - it has essentially the same O2 level.

OP
OP
Maximitsurugi

Maximitsurugi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood now. I think many persons may think the same, that we are trying to exchange co2 with fresh "air" which to the layman means oxygen. Lol. Thanks for the clarity.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back