Ozon - through main skimmer or not?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a much larger skimmer, after removing my filter roller.
I just got an spare ozon unit from a friend, and wondering if I should hook it up to the main skimmer, or use the old but smaller skimmer as a reactor.

Using the main skimmer will obviously be more effective with more water going through it, but using the smaller, extra skimmer will allow me to adjust both individually.

My current issue at the moment, is the smaller skimmer is sitting pretty high, so water contact is limited.

thoughts?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you really need ozone or did you just add it because it was available? Remember, changes we make, no matter how seemingly insignificant, can sometimes result in drastic changes. All that being said, the smaller skimmer is the way I'd go. Remember to use ozone-safe tubing.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you really need ozone or did you just add it because it was available? Remember, changes we make, no matter how seemingly insignificant, can sometimes result in drastic changes. All that being said, the smaller skimmer is the way I'd go. Remember to use ozone-safe tubing.
Well, does anyone really need ozone?
I don't, but could give make the water extra clear.
I'll try the setup with the smaller skimmer, and go slowly. If I see no benefits or negative effect I'll take it offline again.

Jposch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, does anyone really need ozone?
I don't, but could give make the water extra clear.
I'll try the setup with the smaller skimmer, and go slowly. If I see no benefits or negative effect I'll take it offline again.
Oh, you'll see benefits. Even like 25mg/hr. For 100gallons will clear the water so well, it'll change your perception of what a tank should look like. You may even adjust you lights after becuase you had blues jacked up to offset water yellowing. Aftwr running ozone, I gwt the same "blue" from 14k halides as I did with 20k without ozone. I junked my skimmer altogether, but I aagree with having a reactor/skimmer that is just for the ozone. Of tpu have a wiepro unit, they just aren't as good as ozotech, so if you get ozone smell, make sure it's not the unit leaking. They also generate the ozone in a different way. (Cheap ceramic disc vs. Stainless tube) just doesn't seem to diffuse in the water as well, and smells sour in comparison. So, if you like the benefits, look at ozotech. Just ordered an enaly, so no idea if it's as good as ozotech for about half the price, and has built in orp control.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, you'll see benefits. Even like 25mg/hr. For 100gallons will clear the water so well, it'll change your perception of what a tank should look like. You may even adjust you lights after becuase you had blues jacked up to offset water yellowing. Aftwr running ozone, I gwt the same "blue" from 14k halides as I did with 20k without ozone. I junked my skimmer altogether, but I aagree with having a reactor/skimmer that is just for the ozone. Of tpu have a wiepro unit, they just aren't as good as ozotech, so if you get ozone smell, make sure it's not the unit leaking. They also generate the ozone in a different way. (Cheap ceramic disc vs. Stainless tube) just doesn't seem to diffuse in the water as well, and smells sour in comparison. So, if you like the benefits, look at ozotech. Just ordered an enaly, so no idea if it's as good as ozotech for about half the price, and has built in orp control.
Thanks. I actually turned it off again a few days ago, as I have done other adjustments and getting ready for a week out of the house.
Once I get everything else in order, and parameters are stable and where I want them, I'll probably test again.
I do believe a few corals noticed the increase in light after a day or two of running ozone. They weren't as happy as usual.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back