But you don’t have a full picture/understanding. I’ll DM you

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not common I have read about people using ozone and scrubbers with no impact on each other.

Now, could ozone be doing something in your systems to make the scrubber more efficient? Possibly

But overall slime growth isn’t bad. It’s nutrient dense and just needs to be harvested / cleaned more.
that's good to know. thank you!!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you experience slime, the cycle is
1) Dark slime
2) Lighter / greener slime
3) Turf algae begins

I wouldn’t quite say it’s a sign of an immature scrubber (although I can see a justification in saying that) it’s - true statement sometimes

I would phrase it as a sign of a scrubber still in, or that reverted back to, the early stages of nutrient removal/reduction in a a tank

Slime algae grows and is very efficient at absorbing nutrients. Super efficient. Darker, almost black slime is more nutrient filled than lighter / greener slime. They both also prevent turf algae from gripping on a surface, and prevents it from developing.

But the slime is happening for a reason. And the turf is not growing for a reason. The tank has excess nutrients but the slime is growing faster and claiming it’s property first. It needs to be harvested more frequently and the screen needs to be cleaned so that turf roots have something to grab onto. Eventually the slime should stop growing and turf should develop. But if it doesn’t, the scrubber is still functioning fine, slime algae is working the same way, it’s just uglier and needs to be harvested more often

OP
OP
MorReefs

MorReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everybody for the responses. Im very glad I asked the question as it would seem I wasnt alone. Since I had trouble finding any writings on the matter in the first place I hope this thread will answer others who have the same question.

SaltyArms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an example of what I’m getting. I was getting turf and then when I started the ozone it seemed to regress back into this.

At the advice of @VintageReefer I cleaned it off today and I’ll try to keep up with it more to see how it progresses.

IMG_4845.jpeg

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you experience slime, the cycle is
1) Dark slime
2) Lighter / greener slime
3) Turf algae begins

I wouldn’t quite say it’s a sign of an immature scrubber (although I can see a justification in saying that) it’s - true statement sometimes

I would phrase it as a sign of a scrubber still in, or that reverted back to, the early stages of nutrient removal/reduction in a a tank

Slime algae grows and is very efficient at absorbing nutrients. Super efficient. Darker, almost black slime is more nutrient filled than lighter / greener slime. They both also prevent turf algae from gripping on a surface, and prevents it from developing.

But the slime is happening for a reason. And the turf is not growing for a reason. The tank has excess nutrients but the slime is growing faster and claiming it’s property first. It needs to be harvested more frequently and the screen needs to be cleaned so that turf roots have something to grab onto. Eventually the slime should stop growing and turf should develop. But if it doesn’t, the scrubber is still functioning fine, slime algae is working the same way, it’s just uglier and needs to be harvested more often
^^ this is a very good explanation of the process

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back