Ozone generator and algae scrubber?

MorReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have not found anyone discussing this so hopefully I can get some decent input. I want to switch from a calcium reactor to a algae scrubber as I have heard they out perform in the nutrient export dept. I also would like to benefit from a ozone generator. What would be the cons for running a setup like this?

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium reactor is for keeping alk and calcium up not export, maybe a byproduct could be some sort of export but I don't personally see it.
From the research I've done on ozone is that it really only does good if you have a wide or long tank that you look through a lot of water. Ozone will make it crystal clear, but on your average 125gal or smaller tank I don't see the point personally. Carbon will do the same job in this instance. Ozone can be kind of scary as well, as too much running can leak into the house and cause health issues. Now if you have a big tank (150gal and up) make sure to run the Ozone on an ORP controller into a skimmer. Be careful as regular airline tubing will get destroyed in an Ozone system so use Ozone rated tubing, carbon on the top of the skimmer, and carbon on the output of the skimmer. Again, just running carbon is a safer bet.

Now for algea scrubber, ill always say if you want export to try it out. It does take a little while to seed but when it does, it'll take off and you'll be scraping algea out every week. I like running the light on an opposite schedule as the display to get the ph benefits at night time.

Calcium reactor is great if you set it up correctly for alk and Calc dosing. They are the cheapest way of maintaining those 2 for long term (after paying for the dang thing first that is). Just co2 and media maybe a couple times a year. Be careful of what media you use as some leach phosphates into the tank as well. Just a thought.

So all in all, Ozone is a good tool but personally I'd just run carbon. Cheaper, easier, and safer. Algea scrubber is a heck yeah I'd do it in a heartbeat. And I'd def hang onto that calcium reactor.

Hope that helps if you've read all this!

OP
OP
MorReefs

MorReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium reactor is for keeping alk and calcium up not export, maybe a byproduct could be some sort of export but I don't personally see it.
From the research I've done on ozone is that it really only does good if you have a wide or long tank that you look through a lot of water. Ozone will make it crystal clear, but on your average 125gal or smaller tank I don't see the point personally. Carbon will do the same job in this instance. Ozone can be kind of scary as well, as too much running can leak into the house and cause health issues. Now if you have a big tank (150gal and up) make sure to run the Ozone on an ORP controller into a skimmer. Be careful as regular airline tubing will get destroyed in an Ozone system so use Ozone rated tubing, carbon on the top of the skimmer, and carbon on the output of the skimmer. Again, just running carbon is a safer bet.

Now for algea scrubber, ill always say if you want export to try it out. It does take a little while to seed but when it does, it'll take off and you'll be scraping algea out every week. I like running the light on an opposite schedule as the display to get the ph benefits at night time.

Calcium reactor is great if you set it up correctly for alk and Calc dosing. They are the cheapest way of maintaining those 2 for long term (after paying for the dang thing first that is). Just co2 and media maybe a couple times a year. Be careful of what media you use as some leach phosphates into the tank as well. Just a thought.

So all in all, Ozone is a good tool but personally I'd just run carbon. Cheaper, easier, and safer. Algea scrubber is a heck yeah I'd do it in a heartbeat. And I'd def hang onto that calcium reactor.

Hope that helps if you've read all this!
Thank you for the reply, I didnt mean to write calcium reactor but I meant to write Skimmer. I am curious about running a algae reactor without a skimmer and a ozone generator. My tank is a 300g DD btw.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never really had a calcium reactor that I remember but I do have an algae scrubber and ozone.

I can't say if either does any good but my reef has been running for decades with both.

BairCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply, I didnt mean to write calcium reactor but I meant to write Skimmer. I am curious about running a algae reactor without a skimmer and a ozone generator. My tank is a 300g DD btw.
Ok yeah ozone is definitely a not so bad idea then. Don't need a skimmer honestly, and algea scrubber will help with ph if you run it 24hr or on opposite schedule than your primary lighting schedule. Just make sure to use ozone rated tubing. I suppose use an airpump to push through the ozone then into a diffuser in the sump. Again start as low as the ozone gen will put out and control with an orp controller. Air dryers really help with ozone gens too, won't have to take apart every so often to wipe them dry to maintain it

OP
OP
MorReefs

MorReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know others have done this with no issues. I have read more than once about how beneficial a skimmer is in conjunction with your ozone generator, I just wasnt sure if I would be losing too much nixxing the skimmer for a algae reactor.

Boehmtown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran a 150 with no skimmer. Ran all my tanks with either a Refugium or ats and no skimmer but that was the biggest. Worked great for me

OP
OP
MorReefs

MorReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I added a uv reactor to assist in pest management, would that hinder the algae reactor?

SaltyArms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m running a CW-50 scrubber 8 hours nightly, and ozotech ozone 3 nights a week for two hours on setting 2.

I’ve been noticing it seems like my scrubber is really struggling to grow anything suddenly. Mostly slimes and I had been getting a screen maturing into pretty decent turf. So it seems like I’m going backwards.

Has anyone seen or heard of ozone impacting turf algae growth like that or am I falsely correlating things and my scrubber is struggling due to some other issue?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running ozone and a scrubber for many years and I do find that the screen makes a lot of slime. I assume that whatever is in the slime also should be eliminated from the tank so I deem it a success.

OP
OP
MorReefs

MorReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, does seem like it effects it in some way. Would be curious if more folks running both also just get slime?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great topic. I plan on Ozone and ATS in a 200 gal. FOWLR.
maybe the ozone is breaking down the nutrients so the ATS is building slime instead of turf??
hmmm anyone else have this happening?

wonder if its better to choose one VS the other?
I was planning on ozone for clear water & ATS for no3 /po4 control as my skimmer is under sized.

I dont think a ton of people use either of these and prob. very few use both... aside from @Paul B but he's always been a rebel.

what are your thoughts bud @Turbo's Aquatics

SaltyArms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made some adjustments and now watching results. I've bumped the ozone back to one hour 3x a week (same setting) and I've set the scrubber light to run all the time. I want to see if I can power through whatever is causing the slime with additional light.

Anecdotally, it looks to maybe be working. I'll try to get a picture of the screen tomorrow. Nutrients are available (PO4 ~.1-.2, NO3 between 5-15) so I don't think that's the cause for slimes.

The ozone is mostly so I can just stop using carbon and still have the super clear water. The 1 hour seems to be giving me that. Also working on some modifications to optimize my ozone use (adding dessicant canister, flow meter, and going to force air with an air pump vs passive pull from skimmer.) That may help dial it in a bit better.

The end goal is that the scrubber and skimmer will work well enough I can pull my reefmat completely.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slime actually indicates greater success than turf algae. It means it is pulling a very high amount of excess nutrients from the water. Darker the better. But needs to be harvested more often than turf. Once system overall excess nutrients come down, it should grow turf again

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not common I have read about people using ozone and scrubbers with no impact on each other.

Now, could ozone be doing something in your systems to make the scrubber more efficient? Possibly

But overall slime growth isn’t bad. It’s nutrient dense and just needs to be harvested / cleaned more.

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used ozone and a scrubber in the past with no issues. If anything I noticed to be affected it was my skimmer not skimming as effectively but still produced.

SaltyArms

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slime actually indicates greater success than turf algae. It means it is pulling a very high amount of excess nutrients from the water. Darker the better. But needs to be harvested more often than turf. Once system overall excess nutrients come down, it should grow turf again
That's the first time I've heard that about slime algae being good. I've always read that slime was the sign of an immature scrubber and a precursor to turf algae, with the goal being that thick mat of turf growing.

I've also not read anywhere about harvesting slime more often.

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong? My expectations/understanding may be misguided...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back