Ozone Generator!

EdsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I am looking after the school reef tank for my kids school (I decided everything) and was thinking of adding a ozone generator to help breakup the yellow in the water, but don't know if its worth it. My goal is to improve water clarity and get rid of some of the yellowing.

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will definitely clear the water up and raise redox.

The problem lies in the fact that ozone could leak into the school if not properly maintained. If you’re insistent on using ozone, do it right and get a reactor. Don’t just plumb it into the Venturi on the skimmer or worse, an air stone.
Not worth it for nothing more than clearer water. Why don’t you get a UV light?

OP
OP
EdsonReefer

EdsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to add a orp probe to the apex to monitor it and shut off the generator if necessary. What hazards are there with ozone? Also didn't think UV would do anything for yellow water as I thought it only effected Bacteria and viruses

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An ORP probe will not help the air quality the kids breath. It only monitors redox in the tank. If your aquarium water is that yellow it appears you may have other underlying issues or you need to increase the amount of water changes.
A UV light will not help with the yellowing of the water. It will clear up bacterial blooms.

Ozone is a lung irritant. Coughing, chest pains, shortness of breath and throat irritation to name a few.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to add a orp probe to the apex to monitor it and shut off the generator if necessary. What hazards are there with ozone? Also didn't think UV would do anything for yellow water as I thought it only effected Bacteria and viruses
Are you running carbon? Yellow water is such an easy thing to fix. Ozone is a very extreme measure to fix that.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people that use ozone don’t do so 24/7

I personally run mine for an hour at 1am. Just use a plug in timer

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good advice above. First try carbon and more frequent water changes. Ozone can cause respiratory issues in people if the levels get too high. IMO, the risks of ozone far outweigh the benefits. When you ask yourself what could go wrong....if any answer is potential harm to children then the solution is obvious. Ozone should only be run on large systems under close observation and good ventilation.
Putting the heavy aside, I applaud your efforts to introduce the next generation to the wonders of the ocean. Keep up the good work

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry but as someone that actually uses ozone I can tell you that the reports of its dangers are blown way out of proportion.

People are happy to stick palys in their tank but heaven forbid ozone?

The easy advice is if you can smell it then turn it down and don’t run it all the time.

It will corrode the pipe leading into the skimmer over time but that does take a while and they also operate best and longest in a dry environment.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good advice above. First try carbon and more frequent water changes. Ozone can cause respiratory issues in people if the levels get too high. IMO, the risks of ozone far outweigh the benefits. When you ask yourself what could go wrong....if any answer is potential harm to children then the solution is obvious. Ozone should only be run on large systems under close observation and good ventilation.
Putting the heavy aside, I applaud your efforts to introduce the next generation to the wonders of the ocean. Keep up the good work
You have electricity and water in your home...isnt that a potential risk to your children too? Perhaps you have stairs?

My point is there is risk and danger to everything. You could choke to death eating a hotdog. Do a google search for the last time someone was hospitalised for using ozone.

We all need to end the spread of misinformation.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have electricity and water in your home...isnt that a potential risk to your children too? Perhaps you have stairs?

My point is there is risk and danger to everything. You could choke to death eating a hotdog. Do a google search for the last time someone was hospitalised for using ozone.

We all need to end the spread of misinformation.
I have no intension of misinforming anyone. Nothing I said is false. I even used IMO. Sorry you got offended.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no intension of misinforming anyone. Nothing I said is false. I even used IMO. Sorry you got offended.
I promise I wasn’t offended and I hope I didn’t offend you. That was not the intention.

I just want people to be informed in realistic terms of the pros, cons and dangers.

OP
OP
EdsonReefer

EdsonReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone, I have decided to try the chemi-pure blue that I got from MACNA for the school tank and the results overnight are better than I expected. The water clarity is way up and most of the yellowing is gone (can't really see any), plus the cost was quite abit less then adding ozone, as it being a school tank that operates 100% on donations, I try my best to keep the cost of dry goods and live stock down as much as I can.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back