Ozone

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve recently installed an ozone generator to my sps dominated tank. I’m running it in a dedicated skimmer with carbon sitting on top of it. Came back today and my wife said she smell something that taste like bleach. And feeling abit hard to breathe with some chest pain. Can ozone be doing this.? Any tips on how to run it safe in a living room? ATM I’ve turned it off and set my apex timer to turn it on at 2am-4am when everybody is sleeping in their bed room.

So far the positive of running ozone is
1) great water clarity
2) less fishy odour
3) helped cleared dinos

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ozone exposure can definitely cause headaches and nausea in humans/other pets. Can you lay out and provide photos of your ozone system so folks who are familiar with ozone can advise on how to fix it?

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gatortailale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will produce a sweet smell & too much can be harmful as mentioned. Fortunately for me I can run in basement laundry room where sump & skimmer are & put inline fan in to exhaust any excess out of the house. Also have parrots on main floor of townhouse so I’m mindful of the smell and amount injected.
You can try running on a low setting to reduce amount used. I have to swap/refresh drying media almost weekly for it to run efficiently. After few weeks definitely notice tank water clear, so if you run LED may want to adjust par output intensity down or run acclimation cycle 60+ days for coral to adjust.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Classic symptoms of ozone exposure.

I'm only running mine for about 2 hours per day. I set up my APEX to control by time and orp meter, so there is some redundancy.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No it doesn't smell like bleach. These ozone generators aren't big enough to hurt you. It doesn't smell like anything. It's more of a sense. It damages the Avilli in your lungs. If you are around too much ozone you will feel it when you breathe, but it doesnt make it hard to breathe... you just sense it. Yes, ozone can kill you. You would have to be locked in a room with a significant generator. I used to use them when I grew weed and I had powerful generators. I hurt myself and killed plants before I knew that it was harmful. Luckily, your lungs heal themselves over the course of a couple of months.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i run I love it.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m still debating ozone but this was one of the options as I think it’s more functional than having a dedicated protein skimmer.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m still debating ozone but this was one of the options as I think it’s more functional than having a dedicated protein skimmer.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2861.png

Here’s an option I’m considering. AquaUV has an ozone UV combo where the casing is larger thereby allowing air to be exposed to 185nm UV to create ozone which can then be plumbed back to the display or ahead of the UV intake where UV-C will dissipate that ozone and I believe in the process create hydroxyl radicals which although short lived will more effectively oxidize that they contact. Plus by feeding that ozone farther up the inflow it will oxidize that water yet because UV-C dissipates the ozone my understanding it no need to for GAC to remove remnants although still needed to remove ozone produced oxidants such as bromide from bromine. Still researching latter as it appears denitrification can solve it. My biggest concern being the inability to determine when GAC has become ineffective since ozone removes yellowing.

Biggest flaw with this being one can’t regulate how much ozone is produced beyond turning the UV on or off yet if it truly dissipates all then does that matter since it could be produced 24/7 or to schedule needed. I’m also not clear on how flow affects dissipation and if ozone radicals are constantly produced then are those effective at removing both bacteria and pathogens. Plus perhaps allow a greater flow which would be ineffective otherwise with pathogens.

If I can solve proper testing of bromide then this looks like the best approach. My other option is using hydrogen peroxide which is also dissipated by UV-C and converted to short lived hydroxyl radicals. Problem there is that requires constant dosing which to some extent can be mitigated with top off as done with kalk yet not as worrisome about more or less going in vs just estimating to tap daily evaporation and having the right mix then supplementing with an additional doser. Still thinking through this but the ozone UV combo seems just simpler and worse case add additional ozone via corona discharge to the same Venturi upstream of the UV.

Biggest unknown being if UV-C dissipates is there a certain flow needed and at that point when UV is on could one dose considerably more yet not worry about excess getting into display. Testing with ORP proves will help with that.

One could also combine any UV with a Corona discharge but this combo seems the most efficient and pragmatic. Plus don’t need an air pump since the Venturi will draw air on its own. Add an air dryer obviously to increase effectiveness.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 120 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back