10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Wonder if a dryer is worth it.

I see ozone generators on Amazon for about 80$. Wonder if they are just as good
Sanjay said he got his from Amazon, but some
don’t have the knob function; only an on/off switch. You need to use a controller to set a time
function.

IMO, dryers aren’t worth it. Many advanced reefers using ozone omit the air driers. It’s not worth it because it’s very easy to clean out the unit periodically, at least for Ozotech.

The more humid, the less effective the unit becomes, but it works for me, and I’m in Florida. :)

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Not as well as ozone. See my before and after.

I don’t agree with this. UV and activated carbon can remove some yellowing pigments, but not all.

The process back to yellow was probably really gradual. I also thought there wasn’t a difference, but there was.

IMO, you don’t need a controller after the first few uses of Ozone generator if it has an adjustment knob. As long as your ORP rises a couple tens, you are getting the water clarity benefits. As long as ORP never rises above about 400 without the controller, you won‘t need the controller to stop the production. It won’t ever get too high if you keep the knob at the same level.

Initially, you will need the probe and controller to make sure it doesn’t get too high, but if it never gets too high with the knob setting, then it won’t in the future (unless you added some crazy oxidizing substance).

For curiosity , you can do the water bucket test. ORP need not be run 24/7 to achieve the clarity benefit

However, if you are happy with the water clarity of your tank, then by all means keep it that way. I just don’t think it’s fair to say activated carbon is the same as ozone (I made that say assumption, but I wanted to challenge that assumption).
Carbon clears my water to match the clarity of my RODI.

What type of carbon are you running? How long before running your cup test did you change your carbon? What is your carbon volume to rank volume ratio?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon clears my water to match the clarity of my RODI.

What type of carbon are you running? How long before running your cup test did you change your carbon? What is your carbon volume to rank volume ratio?
ROX 0.8

I changed it about 2 weeks prior to the test.

I never measured the ratio. I just eyeballed a media bag in my 260 gallon tank.

What carbon do you use?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a poseidon and for the longest time I used the desiccant pellets to dry the air before the ozone reactor. But have gotten lazy and run about 60ml of rodi water through the port every few months to clean it.

I can tell when my reactor isn't working just by looking at the tank, usually after I fix the issue the water becomes clear rather quickly.

I agree with Miami reef that carbon and uv can't do what an ozone reactor can.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the
Poseidon 200 so should I still run carbon ??
run carbon on the water that exits the ozone reactor prior to going to a skimmer. I run a big skimmer for my 300 and a small tunze for the water that exits the ozone reactors carbon chamber, this small skimmer also handles the water that exits my biopellet reactor.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's everyone using for reactors (besides skimmers)?
I DIY'd mine, but I leaned heavily on avast marines Mutiny.

Ali-F

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current orp readings 440-450. Water looks clear but wondering what ozone might do if installed .

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current orp readings 440-450. Water looks clear but wondering what ozone might do if installed .
ORP meters aren’t accurate, especially if organisms are growing on the probe. The probe IME will trend higher overtime. Bleaching it brings it down, but I personally don’t even track my ORP anymore. As long as it rises a couple tens with ozone, I’m happy.

I only use my ozone 1-2 times a week.

Try the bucket test. Get two 5 gallon white buckets. In one, put fresh saltwater. In the other, fill 5 gallons of tank water.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the before:

Left: instant Ocean seawater with RO/DI.

Right: tank water with activated carbon changed 2x/month and weekly 15% water changes.

IMG_6167.jpeg

After:

Left: instant ocean with RO/DI
Right: aquarium water with ozone added to the aquarium through a protein skimmer for about 2 days.

IMG_6265.jpeg
You're making me really want to buy an ozone unit. I hope you don't work for an ozone company :p

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're making me really want to buy an ozone unit. I hope you don't work for an ozone company :p
lol

I don’t work for ozone. I just really like my water clear.

I think water quality might be my passion in this hobby. :)

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question from a noob.. does ozone have media that needs to be replaced?
Depends on how you run it, but you can do it with/without changeable media.

Mine (Avast Mutiny) has a carbon filter on the back-end of the ozone, so you have to change that out as needed. But most don't have a carbon filter and there is no changeable media once setup.

Others may have a drying agent on the front-end to increase potency of the ozone and longevity of the generator, but I am not doing that in my setup.

I enjoyed the Reef Dudes videos on Ozone when doing my initial research.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question from a noob.. does ozone have media that needs to be replaced?
There are a few ways to answer this question. An ozone generator requires that the inlet air be low humidity. Some use a desiccant cartridge to remove moisture, and that needs to be replaced/recharged periodically. You can avoid this by adding a dryer that uses heat to remove moisture.

some ozone reactors have a post carbon chambers that aid in removing any extra ozone before it gets sent back into the tank and home. The GAC would also need to be changed periodically. Some people don't use an ozone reactor and pump the ozone into their "ozone safe" skimmer and rely on the micro bubbles and collection cup to remove excess ozone.

So, the answer is yes and no. Hehe

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now use an air drier on mine. I get much better results. :)

I just bake it at 300F for about 45min to regenerate the silica beads, they will turn from blue to pink when exhausted.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the 400mg ozotech with their IQ20 heated dryer on my 2 reefs. ,the dryer lets you actually get full performance and you won’t have to replace the guts as often. My equipment is at least 20 years old and have had to replace some parts over the years but it’s very reliable I’ve ram with skimmer and I’ve tried reactors over they years. I run Beckett skimmers and notice zero difference if it’s getting into the system in a reactor or the skimmer. If you have a small skimmer that might be a factor to favor a reactor. I go with the keep it simple plan

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 92 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back