Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about running an ozone generator in my 90 gallon mix reef tank
Need some help with ??? !!!

What are the Pro and cons???

And also, do I get rid of my carbon media reactor??

Thank you in advance

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cons:

A potential danger to your respiratory health. Ideally you‘d run activated carbon on the air effluent to break down the ozone before it gets a chance to enter your room.

You should also run carbon on the water effluent to remove the toxic byproducts of ozone: (bromate, hypobromous acid, etc.)

You need an ORP controller to prevent ozone overdoses.

Those are the main risks. I tried ozone for a few months (targeting a value of 400 ORP about once a week). I personally did not see any effect on my water clarity. I use activated carbon and have a regular water change schedule. My tank was extremely clear on its own.

I mistakenly thought ozone would solve my issue of particles in my water. Unfortunately, my strong powerheads have a tendency to suck up and shoot sand that’s perpendicular to it. I just have floating debris that not even my 100 micron filter socks can clear.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cons:

A potential danger to your respiratory health. Ideally you‘d run activated carbon on the air effluent to break down the ozone before it gets a chance to enter your room.

You should also run carbon on the water effluent to remove the toxic byproducts of ozone: (bromate, hypobromous acid, etc.)

You need an ORP controller to prevent ozone overdoses.

Those are the main risks. I tried ozone for a few months (targeting a value of 400 ORP about once a week). I personally did not see any effect on my water clarity. I use activated carbon and have a regular water change schedule. My tank was extremely clear on its own.

I mistakenly thought ozone would solve my issue of particles in my water. Unfortunately, my strong powerheads have a tendency to suck up and shoot sand that’s perpendicular to it. I just have floating debris that not even my 100 micron filter socks can clear.
If you run your ozone through a skimmer the StinkSink is a great addition (removes any and all traces of stray ozone).

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That stinksink is pretty cool. I might have bought one if they actually had any stock. Right now, I have a ring cut from carbon impregnated air filter material with a bag of carbon on top of that. I also run a bag of carbon in the sump. No smell of ozone. I have pretty much run ozone since the early 90's and I just replaced my Poseidon 200 that lasted about 9 years with a new one. I have a 10yo 200 gallon with a heavy bioload and it gets quite a bit of ozone controlled by ORP controller on Apex and injected into a Reef Octopus 10" XP3000I.

It's not just for water clarity and also performs a similar function to a UV sterilizer (w/o having to replace bulbs). It also is a good backup to have as it will break down nitrite and ammonia if you run into issues.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, just for fun.

I haven’t used my ozone generator in a month or so. I recently did the bucket test to see the difference.

Bucket on the left was RO/DI water mixed with 35ppt instant ocean salt vs. my tank water.

IMG_6167.jpeg

My tank water was noticeably more yellow in the bucket test.

I ran ozone for a few days. I’ll share the after results tonight.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, just for fun.

I haven’t used my ozone generator in a month or so. I recently did the bucket test to see the difference.

Bucket on the left was RO/DI water mixed with 35ppt instant ocean salt vs. my tank water.

IMG_6167.jpeg

My tank water was noticeably more yellow in the bucket test.

I ran ozone for a few days. I’ll share the after results tonight.

Looking forward to it!

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to it!
Here’s the before:

Left: instant Ocean seawater with RO/DI.

Right: tank water with activated carbon changed 2x/month and weekly 15% water changes.

IMG_6167.jpeg

After:

Left: instant ocean with RO/DI
Right: aquarium water with ozone added to the aquarium through a protein skimmer for about 2 days.

IMG_6265.jpeg

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the before:

Left: instant Ocean seawater with RO/DI.

Right: tank water with activated carbon changed 2x/month and weekly 15% water changes.

IMG_6167.jpeg

After:

Left: instant ocean with RO/DI
Right: aquarium water with ozone added to the aquarium through a protein skimmer for about 2 days.

IMG_6265.jpeg
dang. Amazing. Do you use an air dryer on yours and do you also use the Poseidon 200?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang. Amazing. Do you use an air dryer on yours and do you also use the Poseidon 200?
I have the ozotech poseidon 200. I don’t use any dryers.

IMO, running it once or twice a week is more than enough! No need to run it 24/7.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where do you hook into the skimmer?
I hook mine through the air silencer (the Ozotech comes with ozone-safe tubing and tubing caps). Make sure your skimmer is compatible with ozone.

marinesnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I recently switched from ozone to UV + carbon. Here’s why…

- Most ozone setups require you use carbon to remove the ozone from the water after it leaves the reaction chamber. The carbon itself clarifies the water …
- When the carbon exhausts, the smell of ozone is present, and by the time I smelled it I knew a headache and irritated lungs were soon to follow. Not joking.
- Using UV + Carbon gets the same desired effects I wanted out of ozone—clear water and dead parasites—but without the risk.
- I’ve noticed no difference in my tank in the last 2 months since taking the ozone offline.
- I no longer have to worry about my controller not turning the ozone off if my ORP probe fails and therefore nuking my tank (yeah I know it’s unlikely, but one less thing to worry about)

I love to tinker with my tank and ozone scratched that itch, but it was unnecessary otherwise. In retrospect that money would have been better spent on upgrading something else or buying coral.

Last edited:

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon itself clarifies the water.
Not as well as ozone. See my before and after.
Using UV + Carbon gets the same desired effects I wanted out of ozone.
I don’t agree with this. UV and activated carbon can remove some yellowing pigments, but not all.
I’ve noticed no difference in my rank in the last 2 months since I’ve quit using ozone.
The process back to yellow was probably really gradual. I also thought there wasn’t a difference, but there was.
I no longer have to worry about my controller not turning the ozone off if my ORP controller fails and therefore nuking my tank (yeah I know it’s unlikely)
IMO, you don’t need a controller after the first few uses of Ozone generator if it has an adjustment knob. As long as your ORP rises a couple tens, you are getting the water clarity benefits. As long as ORP never rises above about 400 without the controller, you won‘t need the controller to stop the production. It won’t ever get too high if you keep the knob at the same level.

Initially, you will need the probe and controller to make sure it doesn’t get too high, but if it never gets too high with the knob setting, then it won’t in the future (unless you added some crazy oxidizing substance).

For curiosity , you can do the water bucket test. ORP need not be run 24/7 to achieve the clarity benefit

However, if you are happy with the water clarity of your tank, then by all means keep it that way. I just don’t think it’s fair to say activated carbon is the same as ozone (I made that say assumption, but I wanted to challenge that assumption).

Last edited:

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ozotech poseidon 200. I don’t use any dryers.

IMO, running it once or twice a week is more than enough! No need to run it 24/7.
Cool. Wonder if a dryer is worth it.

I see ozone generators on Amazon for about 80$. Wonder if they are just as good

Is the Poseidon 200 loud ??

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 93 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 98 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 20 9.5%
Back