Ozone generators, expensive reef made options or cheap generic?

SaltyShrimpy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ozone generators made for reef tanks are several hundred bucks. Yet I can buy generic 'ozone generators' off amazon, which claim to be considerably more powerful, for a few bucks each.

Is there really much difference between the types of units? If I plug them into an apex outlet and control them on a timer, with ORP probe readings for the safety factor?

1707424054646.png

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with all things, you typically get what you pay for! :) With the more expensive "aquarium options" you can change parts inside them when they brake (which they will!) such as the conora discharge etc.

Whether this unit will work, I can't tell you. I use an AquaMedic ozone generator. It was not expensive. It has been solid for a couple of years now.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do we know that $40 plastic box actually generates ozone and in what amounts?
In a reef context - people measure and monitor ORP etc.
People wanting some ozone in their homes (?!?) are unlikely to measure the output of such a device, so how would they know if it works?

Haim Bengelsdorf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ozone generators made for reef tanks are several hundred bucks. Yet I can buy generic 'ozone generators' off amazon, which claim to be considerably more powerful, for a few bucks each.

Is there really much difference between the types of units? If I plug them into an apex outlet and control them on a timer, with ORP probe readings for the safety factor?

1707424054646.png

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1707424054646.png
I just use one manufactured for use with a spa bath.

From memory about $35 on Amazon.

Works perfectly fine without the reef tax.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back