Ozone planning and questions

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided that ozone treatment is likely the right choice for me to maintain water clarity. I've never used it before and knew nothing about it other than that it existed for water treatment until I started researching (thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley) how I wanted to handle water clarity. I've put together a rough equipment list and also have a few questions I haven't been able to answer. I would appreciate feedback and any help available or offered.

Questions:

- Acrylic Tank concerns: I've read chemical compatibility reports that state
acrylic is from good to excellent for ozone resistance. I assume these tests
are done at a much higher concentration than 0.3-0.5 mg/hour per gallon of water.
But has anyone experienced any negative effects from ozone in an acrylic aquarium?
Is there anything to worry about here? From reduced viewing clarity to catastrophic
failure (guessing unlikely)?

- Target for ozone sizing: 0.3 to 0.5 mg/hour per gallon of aquarium water
Is this actual display water volume minus rocks? Or rough total system
volume including sump volume?
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

- Air flow rate: I picked the skimmer because it was recirculating
and offered the lowest airflow rate. The linked article indicates
somewhere around 50-500 lph for 2-300mg/h and 100-1000 lph for up
up to 2000mg/h. The Poseidon 400 manual [attached] shows graphs at 4, 8 and
10 SCFH. Don't really have access to skimmer data to compare SCFH
directly but my best guess is the max listed 10 SCFH roughly 2/3 of
the reported skimmer air flow rate - maybe I am way off here? And
no idea how to measure or guess the effects of the added restriction
pulling air through the drier and ozone generator. Do I need to make
adjustments one way or the other based on airflow?
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php#2

- What to use to house skimmer water outlet carbon?
Can the skimmer output be plumbed directly into a
carbon reactor like a BRS deluxe?
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-gfo-carbon-reactor-deluxe1.html

- Is the skimmer cup large enough to hold a sufficient
quantity of carbon to filter the air exhaust?

- What parts will not be ozone ready? Apparently everything with the skimmer is good to go:
https://www.coralvue.com/support/513277-Reef-Octopus-Skimmers-and-Ozone

Equipment list:

- Recirculating skimmer
Reef Octopus CLASSIC 110EXT 4” RECIRCULATING PROTEIN SKIMMER
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-classic-110ext-4-recirculating-protein-skimmer.html
$255

- Skimmer pump
Reef Octopus VARIOS-2 CONTROLLABLE DC PUMP
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/varios-2-controllable-dc-pump-792-gph-reef-octopus.html
$195

- Carbon for output air/water
BULK PREMIUM ROX 0.8 AQUARIUM CARBON
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon.html
varies by quantity, figure setup uses 1/2 gallons: $30

- Ozone generator
Ozotech Poseidon 400 Ozone Generator
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/ozotech-poseidon-400-ozone-generator.html
$430

- Ozone dryer
OZOTECH IQ-40 AIR DRYER
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ozotech-iq-40-air-dryer.html
$730

Equipment list variables:
- Carbon container for water filtration
- Skimmer cup modification for air filtration
- Ozone compatible fittings and tubing
- Plumbing
Guesstimate of $10-$210

Rough Total: $1650-$1850

Attachments

• manual.pdf
    800.8 KB · Views: 739

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have much to add beyond the articles, but I've not heard of issues with acrylic aquariums. Particularly if you pass the effluent over GAC, I can't see that being an issue.

I think the sizing issues are so rough of estimates that it shouldn't matter whether you use actual water or total volume, but I also think that folks can attain clearer water with a pretty low amount of ozone, and it's only if you are going to more aggressive goals (sterilization of water in a reactor, etc.) that the amounts are higher.

I personally wouldn't go for a dryer at that cost. So what if you get less ozone generated?

Finally, I'd say that I used ozone for a logn time then stopped due to the potential for HLLE like issues on my tangs. While they were different tangs later withoot the ozone, the problem did not resurface. That said, I also switched from Marineland Black Diamond to ROX 0.8 carbon at the same time. The effect was likely one of the two changes, but might possibly have been unrelated.

After I stopped ozone, what I decided to do was trickle ozone slowly into my skimmer air inlet for a day or so once a month to clear the water of yellowing compounds. Then I shut if off for another month. Seemed to work well, but I did not quantify the effect compared to previous heavy use in a reactor.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're overthinking it.
First, the acrylic in the tank will not be effected by the ozone, only the skimmer. As far as your tank volume, those are someones suggestion, not hard scientific fact. The ozotech generator has a high and low, you can set it to what best suits your needs.
I wouldn't run your skimmer output into a carbon reactor. I dont think there is one on the market that can handle the GPH water volume a skimmer puts out. Most simply put a bag of carbon near the skimmer output. That is also what most also do for the air exhaust on the skimmer lid. If you want to get fancy you can have a custom skimmer lid carbon cover made. I have been using ozone for years in my 450 gallon system. I dont use carbon on the skimmer output but run a carbon reactor in the system. I also dont use carbon at all on my air output. Its in a remote tank room and I simply keep out of there when the ozone generator is running. If you dont have pets hanging out near the tank, you could simply run ozone at night or when everyone is gone from the house.
I currently have a 500Mg/hr corona cell. Far more than the .02.-.04 you quoted. I can run it 24/7 if I choose and my Orp does not budge. I dont program it with a high reading shut off. Over the years I find that for me (feed 6-8 times a day) I run it three hours a day spread out over 24/7.

As far as the air dryer.... WOW! $750!! The ozotech machines do not require it. AS Randy said, you will get less output but still get plenty . If you do need more output and want to increase the lifespan of your corona cell. Most use a color changing rechargable dessicant in a small container and then dry it out in the oven on low heat. I have two R/O containers integrated into the air intake and change the dessicant out every two months. It takes several hours at 225F in the oven to recharge the wet media.

I'm sure I've left something out. Ask away.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello GP, I have been using ozone 24/7 in my glass reef for about 35 or 40 years and I would not stop. My DIY 5' skimmer is acrylic and shows no problems from Ozone so I am sure it won't hurt your tank. My skimmer is put together with "Goop" glue and not silicone like your tank is so I have no opinion if it would hurt silicone but Randy probably knows.
I constantly run 200mg/hr of Ozone in my skimmer. At least thats what my Ozone generator says. I also use no carbon as I believe carbon removes to many things that I want in the water. Instead, I run the effluent from the skimmer on to a 4' trough over my tank where any residual ozone would disapate but I never smell ozone so I don't think there is any left after it travels through my long skimmer. If I remove the hose from the skimmer, it is quite strong and will give you an instant headache.
I drilled a hole in my skimmer cup and the skimate flows into a bucket that I only empty monthly or so. You need to add the correct amount into your skimmer so it works well and I don't think you can figure how much air to add any other way.
Ozone will destroy vinyl tubing and rubber but will be benign to PVC or silicone tubing. It will also destroy aluminum and steel.
I also don't use an air drier and think that is superfluous. Just add more ozone.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think that folks can attain clearer water with a pretty low amount of ozone, and it's only if you are going to more aggressive goals (sterilization of water in a reactor, etc.) that the amounts are higher

in my 450 gallon system ... snip ... I currently have a 500Mg/hr corona cell ... snip ... Ask away

I have been using ozone 24/7 in my glass reef for about 35 or 40 years and I would not stop ... snip ... I constantly run 200mg/hr of Ozone in my skimmer

Do you think with system volume of 650 gallons the Ozotech Poseidon 400 is required for clear water or would the Poseidon 220 work just as well? The 400 only seems to have two modes - 220 and 440 mg/hr. I am not really looking for sterilization and would prefer to use the least amount of ozone possible for a number of reasons... but I want to make sure I end up achieving water clarity.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 200mg in my 100 gallon tank so I would think you would need the 400 for 650 gallons which would not be a quarter of what I use.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on your overall tank.
Paul’s tank is a pretty natural tank with elevated nutrients , a lot of fish and heavy feedings. Your tank could be the opposite and would require less. I’d probably start low and if you determine you need more get a bigger unit.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on your overall tank.
Paul’s tank is a pretty natural tank with elevated nutrients , a lot of fish and heavy feedings. Your tank could be the opposite and would require less. I’d probably start low and if you determine you need more get a bigger unit.

Why would you recommend that someone buy possibly too small of equipment to start with, and then if you're unhappy buy it again?

I'd recommend buying the larger model then you have several options. Run it on 440 a lot if necessary, run it on 440 very little or turn it down to 220 and run it as often as needed.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe running ozone for 5 minutes would do much to 650 gallons of water. He’ll have to keep it on pretty much all day. His concern about leaking ozone is valid and if you can run it 24/7 without needing to do extra maintenance with carbon is a + in my book. Nobody really knows when the carbon goes bad with ozone. But I guess that’s just my way of staying in a “ safe zone “ while still getting the effects I want.

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe running ozone for 5 minutes would do much to 650 gallons of water. He’ll have to keep it on pretty much all day. His concern about leaking ozone is valid and if you can run it 24/7 without needing to do extra maintenance with carbon is a + in my book. Nobody really knows when the carbon goes bad with ozone. But I guess that’s just my way of staying in a “ safe zone “ while still getting the effects I want.
I have 450 gallons of water, near 40 fish, feed my tank 4-8 times a day and only run ozone for 3 one hour blocks a day for crystal clear water. I dont use carbon and when I do, its not for the ozone reactor. My question to you was, why recommend someone buy too small of a piece of equipment? Would you recommend a possibly too small of skimmer and then buy bigger later?

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think with system volume of 650 gallons the Ozotech Poseidon 400 is required for clear water or would the Poseidon 220 work just as well? The 400 only seems to have two modes - 220 and 440 mg/hr. I am not really looking for sterilization and would prefer to use the least amount of ozone possible for a number of reasons... but I want to make sure I end up achieving water clarity.

The 200 might be big enough but you also might have to run it for many many hours a day. The 400 will require much less run time and will last you years longer because of it. I recently read that a corona cell on average is rated for 10,000 hours run time. At 24/7 thats not many years.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to get into a ticking contest with you. Seams as we have different views but you just can’t accept that theirs more than one way to skin a cat. Good day and good luck OP.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy the biggest one I could find and crank that sucker up until it burned the paint off my walls. Thats the way a Man runs Ozone. :mad:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy the biggest one I could find and crank that sucker up until it burned the paint off my walls. Thats the way a Man runs Ozone. :mad:

Real men just run unchecked ozone in room. Forget sissy feeding it to the skimmer. Might as well breastfeed it at that point.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back