Ozone thread

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they might actually work together in some fashion...

"In a marine mammal pool,18 for example, it was found that disinfection with 4 ppm ozone with a 30 minute contact time (a disinfection level much higher than is typically used in reef aquaria) did not reduce the pool's total organic carbon (TOC) (~13 ppm TOC), while the use of granular activated carbon (GAC) did reduce it by 37%. Interestingly, the combination of ozone and GAC was even more effective, removing 60-78% of the TOC, suggesting that the ozonation may have altered some of the molecules in a way that made them bind more strongly (or more rapidly) to GAC. An alternative explanation that cannot be ruled out involves biological transformations of the organic compounds taking place on the GAC surface as it became colonized with bacteria)."
Randy article
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php#10
Read that and found it beneficial but to what extent will that work in an aquarium setting where disinfection isn’t the goal nor practical.

Fact skimmate is reduced lead me to believe that perhaps oxidation from ozone was doing much of the work without understanding exactly why but my main need is reducing what corals excrete to secure territory that would normally be exported via WC which I’m not doing. Enhanced biological filtration not a need. Nor is converting ammonia to nitrate plus not exactly sure what’s going on with bromate or iodine and that’s all new to me.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 59 45.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back