OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned it and it dropped down to 425. I have a backup probe that was brand new. I tried it and its numbers were very similar, so it is not likely a calibration issue.
Then it does seem you need more poopers in that system :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder if ORP meter might tell you about the OPOs presence or destruction. Seen people running Ozone talk about how their ORP dropped when they brought UV online due to the UV destroying the ozone that would otherwise stick around in the water longer.
This is what I observed just yesterday when I brought my UV back online after a few months of discontinued use. I dose ozone for 10 minutes every hour. My ORP dropped from a measured 270 to 170 within 4 hours of turning on the UV. I'm now going to turn off the ozone and see what happens.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I observed just yesterday when I brought my UV back online after a few months of discontinued use. I dose ozone for 10 minutes every hour. My ORP dropped from a measured 270 to 170 within 4 hours of turning on the UV. I'm now going to turn off the ozone and see what happens.
I’ve read on R2R where hydrogen peroxide lowered ORP. Perhaps UV-C created hydroxyl radicals when contacting ozone create the same affect as hydrogen peroxide catalyzing when contacting organics. No clue. Just speculating as this is still relatively new info I’m still digesting and likely getting confused.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read on R2R where hydrogen peroxide lowered ORP. Perhaps UV-C created hydroxyl radicals when contacting ozone create the same affect as hydrogen peroxide catalyzing when contacting organics. No ckue. Just speculating as this is still relatively new info I’m still digesting and likely getting confused.

I don’t think either hydroxyl radicals or ozone can reduce trace metals (copper for example) the way hydrogen peroxide can. I think they can only oxidize trace metals.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What does bringing it online involve? How are you using ozone?

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think either hydroxyl radicals or ozone can reduce trace metals (copper for example) the way hydrogen peroxide can. I think they can only oxidize trace metals.
Wasn’t referring to metals. Just the affect observed on ORP when ozone in combination with UV-C was utilized. Might be the same dynamics overall yet in detail quite different yet achieving the same results to certain goals such as eradicating pathogens/bacteria or removing certain toxins or issues present in our systems.

Recall you mentioning how hydrogen peroxide alters copper. Not being a chemist or scientist. My knowledge is limited in how hydrogen alone, ozone alone or either combined with UV-C or all three simultaneously affect organic/inorganic, salts, metals or any other element. Just seeking how it can be applied to make keeping life in a box more pragmatic.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydrogen peroxide effect on ORP is because it acts as a reducing agent in seawater. That’s why I mentioned it. Ozone with or without uv won’t act as a reducing agent.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydrogen peroxide effect on ORP is because it acts as a reducing agent in seawater. That’s why I mentioned it. Ozone with or without uv won’t act as a reducing agent.
Thought I had read that you or another mentioning that the ORP drops because of the oxidation happening at an accelerated rate or something like that. My thinking on what might be happening when ozone is exposed to UV-C.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I had read that you or another mentioning that the ORP drops because of the oxidation happening at an accelerated rate or something like that. My thinking on what might be happening when ozone is exposed to UV-C.

No,not me. Hydrogen peroxide is known to reduce copper in seawater, which would reduce ORP,

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No,not me. Hydrogen peroxide is known to reduce copper in seawater, which would reduce ORP,
Wasn't aware of that. Was considering using UV-C with ozone in QT to eliminate nitrification of ammonia since it converts it to Nitrate although not sure how it then converts nitrates to nitrite although not as concerned about that in salt. Was then going to perform periodic peroxide baths of 150 ppm with UV-C off then post treatment use the UV-C to dissipate the peroxide which would also further sterilize the water during QT. However, wanted to have the option to still use copper if needed and specifically Copper Power therefore does this mean I'd have to suspend peroxide during copper treatment as I thought you had previously stated that peroxide converts copper from one form to the other. So much to learn it seems just when something makes sense a curb ball thrown and more study needed.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to feel really confident I knew what was going on with the copper chemistry before I tried therapeutic levels of copper medications with varying mixes of Ozone, UV, and H2O2.
possibly oxidizing and/or reducing large amounts of copper in a system with livestock sounds really hard to predict.

OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to feel really confident I knew what was going on with the copper chemistry before I tried therapeutic levels of copper medications with varying mixes of Ozone, UV, and H2O2.
possibly oxidizing and/or reducing large amounts of copper in a system with livestock sounds really hard to predict.
Why I'm going to run tests. Only one way to find out. Although still seeking knowledge before trying it out as it might affect what tests I run.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What does bringing it online involve? How are you using ozone?
I’m injecting ozone into my skimmer. Bringing the UV online simply means turning it on. It’s been plumbed to the system for years. I turned it off a few months ago.

Today, my ORP is 225 and climbing. Still lower than it was with ozone only but higher than with both ozone and UV. There must be some reaction that lowered it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back