Ozone worth it?

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used ozone for years and love it, however…

Regardless if I use the air drier, the corona discharge cell always dies/clogs at around 1 year causing me to spend around 100 bucks for a new one. I’m curious whether the benefits of ozone outweigh the benefits of GAC enough to make the yearly expenses worth it. Opinions?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Regardless if I use the air drier, the corona discharge cell always dies/clogs at around 1 year causing me to spend around 100 bucks for a new one. I’m curious whether the benefits of ozone outweigh the benefits of GAC enough to make the yearly expenses worth it. Opinions?
“How many successful aquarists use ozone” might be another perspective. Maybe consider skipping regular ozone use unless there is a very specific need for it.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“How many successful aquarists use ozone” might be another perspective. Maybe consider skipping regular ozone use unless there is a very specific need for it.
Good point, thank you for that. Plenty of successful reefers dont use it. The biggest reason I did, in addition to water clarity was to keep the odor down. However, without ozone it’s not really that bad either.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it- I do however use a unit where I can not change the Corona discharge.

So far, it's been running for two years with no issues two hours every night.

Better with or without? Well, I swear by it. Anything but anecdotal evidence? Sadly, no...

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Have you tried flushing the cell with isopropyl alcohol? That will help clean out the buildup of nitric acid inside.

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it- I do however use a unit where I can not change the Corona discharge.

So far, it's been running for two years with no issues two hours every night.

Better with or without? Well, I swear by it. Anything but anecdotal evidence? Sadly, no...
What unit do you use? I use ozotech

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ozotech units are okay. I've used a bunch of different models. If you want a lower maintenance brand the Sander units use a metal plate you can wipe down instead of the CD cell found in the Ozotech brands.

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been out of the hobby for 10 years so I am trying to get up to snuff.
Are you utilizing ORP probes to determine levels to trigger the ozone unit to come on
or
Are you just running it a few hours per day?
thanks for any input

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to not use ozone in the 90s because I knew little of it and seems more hazardous than I was willing to risk. Fast forward to today and I started leaning that way but now contemplating the use of hydrogen peroxide in place of ozone. You'd think the latter would provide the same benefits under the convenience of dosing vs another contraption taking space, maintenance and my still existing hazardous concerns.

Wouldn't dosing HP into a reactor then filtered by GAC not serve some of the same benefits assuming an appropriate amount of GAC can be used to accelerate decomposition of the HP? HP easy enough to reasonably measure with test strips therefore one could start with small dosages and adjust from there.

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the ozonetech description on BRS
1704507712395.png

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you utilizing ORP probes to determine levels to trigger the ozone unit to come on
or
thanks for any input
I don't use ozone but...
Have yoou see those video ?

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patx,
thanks so much. I just watched both videos. AWESOME info!

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or
thanks for any input
I keep mine on at a very low level and run it all day, but other run it intermittently. I have a probe but to be honest, mine runs so low I rarely check it

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to not use ozone in the 90s because I knew little of it and seems more hazardous than I was willing to risk. Fast forward to today and I started leaning that way but now contemplating the use of hydrogen peroxide in place of ozone. You'd think the latter would provide the same benefits under the convenience of dosing vs another contraption taking space, maintenance and my still existing hazardous concerns.

Wouldn't dosing HP into a reactor then filtered by GAC not serve some of the same benefits assuming an appropriate amount of GAC can be used to accelerate decomposition of the HP? HP easy enough to reasonably measure with test strips therefore one could start with small dosages and adjust from there.
I’m a big fan of the set it and forget it model. Sounds like a good idea but I think either ozone or GAC is right for me, but I can certainly see the benefit of HP

OP
OP
Murica

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozotech units are okay. I've used a bunch of different models. If you want a lower maintenance brand the Sander units use a metal plate you can wipe down instead of the CD cell found in the Ozotech brands.
I’m definitely going to look into this, do you know if there’s a retailer in the US? Everything I’ve seen so far is outside the states

Looks like they have worldwide shipping though!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Different things happen.

They might accomplish some of the same results, but others are clearly different.

Hydrogen peroxide reduces ORP, for example, since it can act as both a reducing agent and an oxidizing agent in seawater. Ozone can only raise ORP.

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy,
Is it safe to run a low dose of ozone a few hours a day without a probe?
This seems contrary to good practice. I have used ozone in the past but it was always to remediate a situation.
I wish to thank you for contributions to this site. YOU ARE AWESOME!
All the best
Dan

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different things happen.

They might accomplish some of the same results, but others are clearly different.

Hydrogen peroxide reduces ORP, for example, since it can act as both a reducing agent and an oxidizing agent in seawater. Ozone can only raise ORP.
Thought I read where this was raised as point that perhaps ORP is reduced because it's decomposing organics. Could that be the issue and wouldn't that be resolved via natural nitrification?

I'm assuming that combining HP with GAC removes the yellowing of the water and the HP might reduce the organic build up on the GAC making it last longer. I'm still learning about both therefore all theory seeking knowledge vs expressing facts.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back