P Fridmani fry

Zoafreek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pictures of my first batch of Pseudochromis Fridmani hatch out. I believe its day 18 post hatch, still no color on the fry yet. They finally look big enough to go after the newly hatched brine.

They seem to be lagging behind the usual timelines I've seen online in terms of feeding schedule, I'm not sure if the water temp is a little low and slowing their growth slightly.

zoafreek-albums-fridmani-picture18589-2.jpg

zoafreek-albums-fridmani-picture18588-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zoafreek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been adding rotifers everyday since they hatched, about 4 days ago i started adding newly hatched brine. I put some tangerine and moina solina pods in there at the beggining so they could reproduce and provide another constant supply of food. The adult pods are way too big for the fry, but they're reproducing in the fry tank which should provide smaller food for them until they can eat the full grown ones. I noticed yesterday the rotifers seem to be multiplying out of control so I'm thinking the fry are too big for rotifers now, or just not eating enough of them to control the population. I'm not sure if I should start using a sieve to reduce the rotifer population or not. Last thing I want is for the rotifers to get out of control and kill the water quality.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pseudochromis dont seem to be able to survive on Rots alone so I figured you had to have some copepods in there from what I have read. I never have tried to raise a Pseudochromis but have always wanted to try. . Wonder if bbs will be enough nutrition, but you should be ok with the pods in there. I always controlled rots with water changes. I always did water changes with tank water from my reef and added the rots to my reef tank.
How did you get a pair?
Keep us informed. I would really like to know how this turns out.

Dave Polzin

OP
OP
Z

Zoafreek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my reading/understanding bbs alone may keep them alive, but does not provide the proper nutrition required to undergo meta. I think a large part of my success on the first try is that I obtained a few different types of phytoplankton mixtures from reed mariculture which provide all the nutrients needed. Its so dense only a few drops is needed each day to keep the zooplankton cultures green.

As far as pairing the fish, from what I read the female's tail is rounded where the male's tail usually has a curve to it and tends to come to a point. Although I have read in some places they are hermaphroditic. I currently have an orchid pair and a indigo pair in a 60 gallon with good luck so far. Working on setting up individual breeder tanks in the near future, along with some black round tubs for the fry.

OP
OP
Z

Zoafreek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The male indigo dottyback i got not too long ago. The tail comes to a point which is how you indentify the sexes.
zoafreek-albums-fridmani-picture18656-maleindigodottyback.jpg

Currently he is in a tank with an orchid dottyback, and they just laid eggs yesterday so I'm interested in seeing how the babies will look with different parents.

OP
OP
Z

Zoafreek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost the last batch of babies about day 27, brine shrimp weren't hatching as quick as they were before with the warm temps here, so the fry went a couple hours too long without food, then gorged themselves to death when they got fed. I guess getting them that far along on the first try is a good sign.

But on the bright side, the oblique lined dottybacks laid a couple days ago, just happened across the eggs last night and they look like they'll be hatching out tonight. Finally got my BRT, so going to try that instead of a 20G glass aquarium with the sides blacked out.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Real sorry to hear that. But 27 days aint bad.

An idea when you get low on food even though it is hard to do is cut back on the amount of babies so there is enough food to go around.

Keep us posted on the next batch.

Dave Polzin

nano junky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
27 days is a great run on your first attempt especially since you already know what went wrong but im sure youll have your hands full again soon

OP
OP
Z

Zoafreek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this last batch of oblique dottys made it a week, then we lost power here for several hours. When I checked this morning all of the fry were dead, along with all of my zooplankton cultures. Even the brine shrimp didn't make it it :(

Back