all clownfish fry just died

rojo311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
So the eggs hatched on Thursday and were looking great this morning. I did just 4 things.
1) I added fresh saltwater
2) added about 6 drops of Seachem Prime directly into the fry tank
3) I realized my air tube was twisted and no Oxygen was going in the tank for just 2 hours.
4) added more rotifers

do you guys think it was the air? it was only 2 hours and I would think there still had to be oxygen in the water.

This took all the wind out of my sails. I even built a stand for both tanks. I had a batch from 3 weeks ago and still have 5 going strong. most died on the last batch as I had an ammonia spike and didnt catch it quick enough. I had a few hundred in there this morning and they all looked great. just seen a video where Prime killed all this guys fish. I dont want to blame Seachem as there is another reason (air tube) and that really seems to be the culprit. I just dont see how they could die that fast. not a single survivor.

any input would be greatly appreciated. I really would like to know if adding Prime directly to the fry tank was a mistake. especially if the fry was only 1 day old

thanks again

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime doesn’t work for ammonia. It’s false advertising.

Sorry to hear about the loss. :(

OP
OP
R

rojo311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime doesn’t work for ammonia. It’s false advertising.

Sorry to hear about the loss. :(
so you think it was the oxygen? I tested negative for ammonia and put the Prime as a precaution. I just dont think fish can die under 2 hours. I have 6 tanks now and skimmers in 2 without air stones in any tank. I dont think I ever lost anything to low oxygen. I guess being that it was just 5 gallons of water and about 200-300 fry maybe it is the cause of their demise. I was so confident instead of 5 living it would be 50+. I cant even look at the parents now lol. how is that for guilt? maybe a few hundred fry along with all the rotifers..... Hope those that are trying to raise baby clowns can learn from this. going forward I will use 2 air stones. one on each end

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back