P.H.I.L 55g

scags101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FOWLR night time by Erick Sundeen, on Flickr

Starting a saltwater tank is new to me but keeping fish I have been doing since for 20 years now (im 31). I love the hobby and yes saltwater was on my list to start when I got the resources. After a year of research and asking the right people I finally got into the hobby. People say to keey a log. Yes I do keep a test log but I also wanna keep a Story Blog of this 55g tank eco system. Every tank has a story so lets call this tank ...F.H.I.
L. my Fun Hobby In Life. Go ahead name your tank. Its your project and baby so you should be prowd of it.

SO FHIL is now a salty 55g tank. His birth into salt started 3/11/13. Happy Brithday FHIL. Now 8 days into the cycle I recieved my LED lighting. 48" on top with 174 LED 10k. 12 of whice are acticnic. Im learning alot just by doing and researching and doing it the safe way. I just used a can filter for now to keep the water flowing on FHIL and 2x 800gh Power Heads. Put a HOB 80g rate Skimmer on it also and put biomass in my can filter with bioballs. Eventually when I make a custom stand for FHIL (he is sitting on a china hutch that looks like a dresser, and yes easilly holds up) i'll get a sump and a HOB over flow and go that route. For now im starting small. Live rock i have about 40LBS and did some aqua scaping with it also. About 70LBS of Live sand so i got a nice bed going also.

At this moment FHIL is still cycling and my plans for him are a FOWLR so far. CUC will come in about 3 weeks i estimate. I would like to do coral in the future but that will come once the upgrades to sum/fugeare in place. Time line on that is a good year plus.

So now here I am thinking i'll write and keep people up to date on the Life of FHIL. So give me some suggestions as to fish to intruduce after the CUC is in. My wife does want a pair of o. clowns. But what else is good. What does the populace like in FOWLR tanks. Comments are always welcome.

Erick Sundeen

F.H.I.L.: Fun Hobby In Life

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 70 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 5.9%
Back