What causing these bubbles?

iiwil77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening, Im feeding flakes at night and mysis shrimp in the morning's. The tanks temperature is only 1 degree higher, than normal. Im not dosing anything to the tank. I'm not doing anything different, but now I'm starting to see bubbles on the top of the water. I feel like this cant be a good sign.. help?

20240313_195009.jpg 20240313_194955.jpg

ED3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the blue lights but is there any film surrounding them?

OP
OP
iiwil77

iiwil77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really.
Good evening, Im feeding flakes at night and mysis shrimp in the morning's. The tanks temperature is only 1 degree higher, than normal. Im not dosing anything to the tank. I'm not doing anything different, but now I'm starting to see bubbles on the top of the water. I feel like this cant be a good sign.. help?

20240313_195009.jpg 20240313_194955.jpg
Not really

20240313_200958.jpg 20240313_200951.jpg 20240313_200932.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
iiwil77

iiwil77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon all,

I decided to skip a week of testing. My new numbers are below.
Salinity 1.024
Phosphate 1.0
Nitrate 25
Calcium 400
Alkalinity 15 dkh
Magnesium 1350

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your ammonia asap great indicator for high ammonia. If not may just be a surface oil…
Are you dosing? What kind?

My best to my knowledge… is the flakes are creating either a surface oil when it’s not eating— which could also even lead to the answer of high ammonia.

To better find what was the cause, do a 50% water change if you can and switch over to pellets to see if the bubbles disappear, or feed mysis controllably.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iiwil77

iiwil77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your ammonia asap great indicator for high ammonia. If not may just be a surface oil…
Are you dosing? What kind?

My best to my knowledge… is the flakes are creating either a surface oil when it’s not eating— which could also even lead to the answer of high ammonia.

To better find what was the cause, do a 50% water change if you can and switch over to pellets to see if the bubbles disappear, or feed mysis controllably.
The one test kit i don't have...lol. I stopped dosing All for reef over 6 weeks ago. I'm ready to go back. I wanted a better base line first. I did add a skimmer, and I'm still adjusting the unit. I have a dotty back and a pj cardinal and i try to keep the dotty back fed to cut down on the aggression.

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below are my number from the last 6 weeks.
Everything looks good in terms of parameters. I have a feeling is flakes. If flakes sit on the water surface for a small amount of time they dissolve of course… leading to a surface oil… with Oxygen being surface agitation, bubbles are being trapped due to surface ammonia by the creation of surface oil -> due to the flakes.

Feed only mysis and something other than flakes.

grab a paper towel and try to collect all the bubbles on the surface before feeding.

I say this cuz 4 years ago (first time setting up saltwater) I had some strange bubbles before and it was due to a type of fish food… they didn’t sink like some pellets do that surprisingly doesn’t sell anymore… these created bubbles.

Those bubbles went away and with the company going out of business, made it a lot more (fishy) that the brand wasn’t good.

try that and let me know if it works…

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back