FX350 gyres causing big bubbles hitting each other

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Edit: the bubbles aren’t at the pumps. It is causing massive sized bubbles when the sheets of water collide in the middle of the tank.

I have two fx350 gyres on a peninsula shooting at each other. When I have them on constant at each other, they great massive bubbles from hitting on the surface. Is this normal? It’s so weird, I’ve never had a pump do this. You would think they wouldn’t hitting underwater about 1-1.5 inch.

I’m struggling to get good SPS flow on my 5 ft peninsula

Last edited:

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My ReefWave 45's will suck in a bit of air every now and then and blow air bubbles into the tank. They are positioned about 2" under the surface and operate at 80%. If your scenario is troublesome, try moving them down another inch and see if you have the same issue.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
My ReefWave 45's will suck in a bit of air every now and then and blow air bubbles into the tank. They are positioned about 2" under the surface and operate at 80%. If your scenario is troublesome, try moving them down another inch and see if you have the same issue.
The actual pumps aren’t causing bubbles. It’s causing bubbles when the two sheets of water meet in the middle of the tank.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The actual pumps aren’t causing bubbles. It’s causing bubbles when the two sheets of water meet in the middle of the tank.
Gotcha!
A few thoughts:
  • Alternate the flow schedule such that the two sheets of water don't collide
  • If\when they do, have the power reduced
  • Configure them for a true gyre such that one is shooting water across the surface and the other is sending the water down toward the bottom of the tank (depending upon what substrate is on the bottom) creating a circular motion of water in the tank.

I think you will need to play around with settings to see what works.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back