Pacific Sun Kore 7th KHLab doser review

armetas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all of you,

So it has happened that during Black Friday last year I bought Pacific Sun Kore 7th KHLab doser. As I had it for a while - I decided to write a review (it is my personal opinion and there are noone that affects my opinion in this review).

IMG_20181206_232730.jpg

OP
OP
armetas

armetas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sever10 Thank you for your input.

Ok let's begin from the start. When it arrived I was so happy to try it. But... According current manual I was not even able to connect to device. So I needed to contact support service in order to get some instructions - they sent it to me right away (so why they were not with the device?).
When connected I faced another problem - there is no micro USB cable from device to computer (if you do not have spare at home - you need to buy one).

After first time calibration (which took almost 2 hours) I was good to go. I was really surprised how accurate it was. First test showed 8.95 kh (salifert was 8.9 kh, Hanna was 8.99 kh). That was a wow to me.

If somebody of you bought this device this year - you are happy ones, because I bought it at the end of November last year and this doser firmware and software was really buggy (at least for a month I felt like beta tester or even alfa). And you do not expect to be such when you buy equipment from known brand and it costs more than 700 EUR. At some point I feel disappointed that had to spend a lot of time tracking those bugs and reporting to support service (somebody is getting paid for this job so they should do it better). Main issue I had - chart was not showing any values and this was due to that application accepts only dot as a decimal separation (although application could use both separation and handle this in the code perfectly - I have IT background so know some things). Another thing was that till 2019 there was no ability to Control the kh - so they released this doser before having functionality in place.

So everything was really good for a week... Then one morning I woke up and saw huge amount of water on the floor. The water was going from the doser pump 1 (it was stuck at that stage where dosing to measurement cylinder appear). And of course it overflow - a lot. So after stopping the doser and cleaning the mess I noticed in the application that doser was stuck at least for 6 hours (from 3 AM to 9AM). So damage was on the floor, on the cabinet - so it was extra ~250-300 EUR for me to fix the damages. At that point I wanted to return back the device and get my money back for such faulty device. But we sorted out all the issues with Pacific Sun CEO - at this point I'm really happy that they understand that at that point in time product had issues and we agreed they will send replacement parts and new firmware will be ready in next few days. So after this I decided that OK lets agree to try it once more and see how it goes. They really care for the customers and do not leave them without a help.

After few weeks it happened again - it stuck at night again. This time on emptying the cylinder (with magnetic stirrer on). So good that no damages were done. Just pump had a bit too much running.

After New Year new update came and since then I can truly say that firmware and software are now stable and they managed to fix all those major issues. As mentioned before I had quite a lot of input into those issues (each time I found issues - they were reported to support service). The same applies to improvements - and even know I can see at least few improvements that were done according my feedback.
And talking about support service - guys you are really helpful (although there are issues, but you are trying to react quickly). I'm happy with support service that Pacific Sun has and that they care about their customers.
If I would bought this doser now - I would be happy without any issues (so at this point I feel quite bad that had such period where faced a lot of issues for the expensive piece of equipment).

To conclude:

1. Don't buy equipment which is released few weeks ago (it is buggy, unless you feel that they have really strong service which tested everything till the tiny details)
  2. Windows application is now stable and usable at 99% :)
  3. Android application is another thing - it is not fully ready yet - so I expect some challenges there as well
  4. Accuracy is really good, but you need to do the following:
    • Calibrate Pump 1 and Pump 3 at least once in a two weeks time
    • Calibrate the ph electrode at least once a month
  5. Calibration is really easy - you have the scales and it takes about 15-20 minutes to calibrate them
  6. Magnetic Stirrer is quite loud
  7. Liquid amount can be tracked
  8. How many ml per day each pump dosed can be tracked
  9. It can at some point control calcium reactor: If you would buy solenoid valve (extra 50 EUR) from Pacific sun you would be able to connect it inline with calcium reactor and if kh will be more than specified - solenoid will cut the line so no CO2 will go to reactor (there were few suggestions sent to Pacific sun - I hope they will incorporate them in later versions).
  10. It displays chart with KH values + table with KH, PH, Reference and actions that were taken or not (perfect feature)
  11. You can enter reference Kh (for example your test result from Salifert or Hanna test) and according to that doser will draw the line and will calculate what would be the value according to your reference. F.x. if doser measured 7.7 kh and Hanna shows 7.6 kh - you can set that reference kh is 7.6 for doser value 7.7. And when next measurement will appear reference kh would be automatically calculated according last result: doser - 8.0 kh, reference 7.9 kh.
All in all:

If you looking for a Kh measurement device with control abilities - just go ahead - this device is really great. It measures your kh + control it and does the balling according the kh

P.s. I will try to update this thread with my findings

OP
OP
armetas

armetas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates:

Last week I received upgraded stirring pellet for magnetic stirrer - just WOW. There is no sound from Magnetic stirrer. And as far as I know such stirrer are already in production line - so you can be sure that this device is quiet :)

Jeppe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I just bought this kore 7´th doser 2 weeks ago.

I´m having some serious challenges tuning in the KH lab.

Every measurement i do, the result is not correct!

Every second time, the Dkh is 7 and every other time it is 10.
It is consistent..... 7 - 10 - 7 - 10 - 7 - 10 etc. It is very strange and makes no sense to me.

My water is about 7.7 - 8.0 Dkh.

I have uploaded new software for the computer and the newest firmware for the doser.
Pump 1, 2 and 3 has been thoroughly cleaned and calibrated a dosen times. It still not works correctly. The nr. 1 pump has also been replaced with a new one.

Another problem is that the program i use on my computer does not save the data i enter.
I mean the calibration number etc.
Every time I close and restart the program, alle the data has been set back to default.
So every time i start the programme, I have to enter it in manually.

I have been in contact with pacific sun, but they don´t seem to have the time to help me.
The tech support is apparently on vacation and is only back again in a week or so.

I was hoping that anyone on this forum could help me?

BR

Jeppe

Pacific Sun HQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
It's not like we dont have time to reply - some of your mails is putted by server to junk folder(by not known reason). We have your mail sent by you on 13:45 today not replied.
If you are not getting correct measurements you should check following:
- pH probe calibration
- Channels #1 and #2 calibration
However in your case it looks like stirring speed is not proper - during the test water collected in kHLab camber is not mixed properly with reagent. If it's not mixed properly - pH probe can't read values constantly from chamber.
Test stirrer speed before the test - there have to be small vortex inside chamber during the pH test(remove top lid and take a look inside during the test).
When you open app - after connection you need synchronize data (load from doser) with app. All important informations like dosing schedule, bottle status, alkali its settings etc will be refreshed.
Calibration is procedure which is performed once and its not saved in app -you can't load it from doser.
Finally - you are welcome on our Facebook group where you can get reply very quickly from all other kHLab users without any delay:
We always try to reply asap, actually we are on technical breakout (every year first two weeks of August - we are replying little slower but all mails are replied).
Please join our group and get support from our users also.
Thank you.

Regards
Przemek

Rares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ,

I just want to inform reef mates who're using Kore 7th KhLab to pay attention to motor , head and tubing pump. After half year of soft usage & wearing ( twice /day), tubing of pump 1 started to leak, then motor shaft oxidated and at the calibration of pump one couldn't be performed anymore. By by KH Lab ! That happened during my vacation, within 7 days, so at return, it was a mess. After recovering damages, i was asking support (spare parts) from Pacific Sun, by email. Their replay was very clear: No support, no help ! Pumps( motor, head, tubing,...) are not covered by waranty. In six month my unit became a piece of garbage.
Low price = low satisfaction, but high risc ! That's my experience with Pacific Sun.

20191103_134004.jpg

Attachments

• 20191103_133108.mp4
    27 MB

Pacific Sun HQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I see that you write same post on every thread (reef central, reef2reef etc)..
I understand that by that kind of "feedback" you want to make a press on our company because we can get some looses by that kind like yours review...
As our technical suport explained - we are using medical grade PHARMED BPT tubings made by Saint Gobain:
they have limited lifetime and that kind of part(similar like pump heads/rollers) can wear during the time.
That lifetime depend from liquid pressure(height difference between doser and water level) etc.
Actually we have more than 700 units working worldwide (many of them we can observe thru our cloud service) and that kind of report(about broken tubing) we got first time.
Christmas time is coming, let me sort this out for you - contact with our technical support and give them your shipping address.
Hope that you will back here after replacement with objective input ;-)
You will receive new pump and tubing . But please remember about regular part replacing, may other manufacturers don't offer ANY guarantee for tubings/pump heads - cause they are parts which wear with the time.

Till this time you can simply replace motor from pump 6/7 and use with your kHLab.
If you need any advanced troubleshooting - pls contact with support directly.

Happy Reefing

Przemek Cybulski

Rares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

<<I see that you write same post on every thread (reef central, reef2reef etc).. >> Wrong, i wrote only on Reef Central and Reef2Reef, as both sites were useful for me to fix some things since April,2019, when troubles started. So, i would like to know your explanation what "etc" means, because i'm sure, it doesn't exist, not even on Facebook

<<I understand that by that kind of "feedback" you want to make a press on our company because we can get some looses by that kind like yours review.. >> Wrong, again, I lost a unit (Kore 7th KhLab), you didn't want to support me anyway. I bought it when everybody told me that will be difficult to connect it. I was promoted your products in my community. I was supporting few mates on passing some steps till software will grow and gain "maturity" . Still consider some of your products very welcomed, but not reliable, not anymore. Maybe this bad luck was just my case, but i don't believe it. I believe in good design, effective way of work , take care to details and fair-play when something went wrong. I'm wondering if one of your 1700 EUR light will start "loosing" leds because are wearable components, you will continue to ask customer to compare it with other led lights instead of supporting, because your lose is more important ?

<<That lifetime depend from liquid pressure(height difference between doser and water level) etc.>> Wrong again, is visible in movie that my supply silicon tube is less than 20cm - is more than ideal. The life time depend to quality ! Some other companies are performing incoming inspection and , at least, visual inspection during assembling. Tubing that start leaking, was a material defect: a weakness caused by an air bubble, that is quite visible by naked eye, even now. I can prove it by pictures. Since you (PacificSun) advise me to compare with other company, i can tell you that Jebao is performing this inspection, you don't. Jebao using as well Pharmed tubing by Saint Gobain, but slightly different dimension - i'm not quit sure who's design is better. Even then, being a wearable component, Jebao add a spare part and tubing to the package, preventive. I made this pointless comparison just because this was you're replay to my email: you ask me to compare the warranty condition against other company. So, please don't ask customer to compare your product with some of other's, but instead of, try to offer support, solutions to solve the issue/situation.

<<Christmas time is coming, let me sort this out for you - contact with our technical support and give them your shipping address. >> As i have mentioned in my first email: i bought this unit directly from you, PacificSun, this year in April. As i didn't received an official warranty form, i'm sure you kept emails instead of. Or at least i thought this till i heard that warranty is just along 3 months. So, you had my address from beginning and also my phone, too. However, i'm so frustrated about unit failure after half year and how i was treated as customer, that not even count anymore. It counted initially when i kindly asked for a tubing replacement or what you are considering to fix the issue - now we went to far. If your only concern is about "etc" i can ensure you that i will not post anymore, anywhere. This hobby is worth a lot more !

Happy reefing ! Happy reefing to all whom this hobby brings a lot of joy

Back