Paint back of tank

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paint it!
Just make sure to paint the OUTSIDE. I used Rustoleum flat black on mine ... took a couple of coats to get an even opaque coating

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used sticky back vinyl which seemed to work ok.

Search the internet for a video from reefdudes on ‘DIY black aquarium background’ and he shows you how to do it.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. The tank is running with fish and coral. Can I brush it on the back?
I did mine about 6 months ago (blue) livestock in it. Rolled it on, 2 coats. Oil based flat. Open a few windows. A way you go. Wish I did it 20 years ago lol.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F3CD1B05-0333-48AC-95AD-730401577CD1.jpeg

I recently painted the back of this tank after it was already filled with water. (PS: Front glass is streaky & dirty-- back paint came out excellent.) A little masking tape, a little Rustoleum enamel flat black (stir from the bottom very well) and a very tiny roller. Go In one direction with the first coat (which won’t stick all that well) and let it dry. Then the other direction with the second coat, which will adhere much better. Four coats that way and you should be fine, even if you’re using a magnet-scraper carefully in the future. Best wishes! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
TannerManno

TannerManno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F3CD1B05-0333-48AC-95AD-730401577CD1.jpeg

I recently painted the back of this tank after it was already filled with water. (PS: Front glass is streaky & dirty-- back paint came out excellent.) A little masking tape, a little Rustoleum enamel flat black (stir from the bottom very well) and a very tiny roller. Go In one direction with the first coat (which won’t stick all that well) and let it dry. Then the other direction with the second coat, which will get here much better. Four coats that way and you should be fine, even if you’re using a magnet-scraper carefully in the future. Best wishes! :)
Awesome thanks

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paint it!
Just make sure to paint the OUTSIDE. I used Rustoleum flat black on mine ... took a couple of coats to get an even opaque coating

This is exactly what I did and the paint I used. I would recommend latex based Rustoleum with a foam roller. The enamel based is stronger, but its oil bases so it will smell quite a bit stronger and take longer to oxidize and dry. Also not sure what would happen to the silicone long term if some seeps into it.

The latex is water based, dries quick, and this is good because you will need to do about 4 coats on glass to get an even finish.

Back