Paint dripped into Tank!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about it... if it is just a drip. I agree; some carbon and a water change to play it safe.

Kris B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 drip of latex in that much water isn't going to hurt anything. Like others said, run some carbon and a h2o change if u feel up to it, and sit back with a beverage of choice and enjoy your tank.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Latex paint is: water, acrylic polymer (think "Elmer's glue"), emulsifiers (i.e., detergents), glycol ethers (coalescing agent, typically propylene glycol), titanium dioxide as a hiding agent, and various pigments. None of these things are toxic to reef life in small amounts, except if the paint contains a fungicide. The paint formulation should actually say whether it contains a fungicide - it will be labeled "mildew resistant" or "mold resistant".

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If we can use super glue on our frags, I believe we are safe with a drip or two of paint. if you changed water and added carbon, you have likely nipped it in the bud.
Get yourself a painters drop cloth (plastic) under 2 dollars and always cover tank when painting, using aerosols and I despise a tank in or near a kitchen due to cooking oil and grease.

Soggydrysuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be fine - I personally would look for any signs of distress in the tank when you get home - if none - add a standard dose of carbon - and forgo the water change - adding a large amount of carbon can cause more problems than a drop of paint.
That's a new one for me - just curious what a lot of carbon would do to reef tank chemistry, please?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a new one for me - just curious what a lot of carbon would do to reef tank chemistry, please?
removing organics rapidly from the water can affect multiple thins - firstly - the PAR levels reaching the coral - as organics are removed. Then, pH, things that the coral may be using for nutrition, etc.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Update: the tank hasn’t skipped a beat. Good polyp extension and fish acting normal. My clownfish even spawned for the first time the night after the water change!
Lesson: ADD MORE PAINT !!

Raypriceart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife wanted to paint my office. I keep my tank in my office. I told her to not paint above the fish tank to avoid it dripping and that I would cover that area when I got home. She calls me at work today saying that she dripped paint inside the tank!
I have 180 gallon mixed reef tank and a 20 gallon frag tank attached to the main system. She said the paint dripped into the Frag tank. She called me and within five minutes she turned off the pump to the Frag tank so that it was not mixing as much in to main system but I’m sure some of it still got into the main display.
I plan to change the water and the 20 gallon tank tonight 100%. Any other suggestions on what I should do?
Divorce?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back