Paint for stands.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a product I found at menards. It's a stain and poly in one. It stains the wood and poly coats it for waterproofing at the same time. Went with a black stain. Brought out the wood grain beautifully and has a great gloss finish to it.

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the inside of my Biocube stand, I plan to use this.
Parkland Plastics 48-in x 8-ft Embossed White Matte Plastic Wall Panel
One 4x8 sheet at $20 is more than enough to "line" the interior and I already have plenty of silicone caulk for the seams. In my mind it sounds easy. lol

SebastianM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys i am building a stand for a fish room and was curious what paint you guys use to hold up to water and humidity. Ive seen some people paint the inside of the stands where sumps are with paint that does well with getting wet/exposed to condensation.
Kilz for the inside of the stand or oil based paint. I used rust oleum satin black with a roller for the exterior, but my stand was previously black. Some go with a stain if you more of a natural wood look

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to Kilz primer first. I never paint any wood around water without using it. I actually like the idea of using paint for boats, or fiberglass. I am planning on waterproofing the bottom inside of my stand and installing a drain.

Eagle.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would I use if I wanted to build a stand that looks like red sea? I have the stand build but I want something like plywood with magnets to attach and look flush and clean on the outside. I want the color to be white.

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am by no means a painting expert but have done a little research on this.
Seems the key to doing this is lots of light coats of paint with sanding in between. it appears part of the trick of this is finding a paint that dries fast and is available in your area. Some paints like latex, sand like a rubber glove, others take a long time to dry or instantly clog the sandpaper. I live in California so the restrictions are pretty stiff here. I ended up using bullseye primer and giving it a full 7 days to dry. Sanded the primer, and then multiple coats , sanding between, of a water-based alkyd paint , Dunn-Edwards Aristashield.

I did a small stand to test it out and soon I'll start on a much larger stand, hoping it goes well. If you live where you can get a hold of oil-based paints you might have more options.

What would I use if I wanted to build a stand that looks like red sea? I have the stand build but I want something like plywood with magnets to attach and look flush and clean on the outside. I want the color to be white.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a few coats of whatever I had leftover around the house, but finished the upper section with a white enamel and the lower section with a thick cost of the brush on white flexseal. Seems watertight

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Krylon Black Matte Spray Paint on the outside. Coated the underneath of the stand with Shellac. The underneath had some previous minor water damage. Used White Brush on above the water line Marine Oil Based Paint on the inside of the stand. Rustoleum Gloss Brush on on the Horizontal Surface, where the tank sets. My stand came with an Acrylic Tray Re- Glued and sealed it in the bottom. I had everything laying around except the Spray Paint. I’ve touch up the Matte Black by Spraying the Paint in a clean, dry food tray, away from the tank, and brush this on the areas that need touch up. I know someone that put a rubber shower pan liner in the bottom of their stand. It will hold half the tank volume. It has Marine Snaps holding it in place. He Formed, Cut, and glued the corners. The Sump sets on rubber pads, to keep it from tearing the liner.

ether

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my stand inside I used Rustoleum appliance 1-part epoxy paint. Its a gloss white that cures to a durable, easy to wipe clean finish. It's some stinky stuff when applying, needs to be well ventilated or outside.

upload_2017-6-9_8-19-16.png

upload_2017-6-9_8-19-29.png

upload_2017-6-9_8-19-38.png
Looks good! Did you use the spray can or brush/roll?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back