painting bottom of bare bottom

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi , has anyone ever painted the bottom side of a tank While the tank is up and running ?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure someone has. What's your concern? Should be no different than painting it before it was running...assuming you have a stand that has access to the bottom underside of the tank.

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean the outside glass on the bottom?

Sitting on some coloured foam or similar would be much easier.
Tank is up and running , already sitting already . The underside of the tank

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is up and running , already sitting already . The underside of the tank
If you have access to paint it, it shouldnt be an issue. I would use a low VOC paint. Just make sure to cover your sump to prevent (if you have one) and then use a fan to blow any fumes away from the tank.

I have painted sides to hide overflow chambers in numerous tanks while running and had no issues.

OP
OP
LOVEROCK

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have access to paint it, it shouldnt be an issue. I would use a low VOC paint. Just make sure to cover your sump to prevent (if you have one) and then use a fan to blow any fumes away from the tank.

I have painted sides to hide overflow chambers in numerous tanks while running and had no issues.
Low voc is always latex right ? Sorry I’ve no experience in paint , btw should I pain thin multiple layers

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low voc is always latex right ? Sorry I’ve no experience in paint , btw should I pain thin multiple layers
I use behr Premium Plus, as it is low voc and acrylic. It is also rated for exterior (you have to get the exterior version). You can get it in pints, so not much to spend and it holds up very well. I just have them tint the pint and call it a day.

As for coats, it is best to do thin coats, especially, since you are paiting what would be considered "above". I suggest either a small brush or a fine roller to do it. Again, just be sure to put a drop cloth down and do not load up the brush/roller, or it will drip and sag.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back