Painting Liverock

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is contrary to what science has proven. If it were true we would not need live rock in our tanks at all.
Well, you need something to put your corals on and looks nice. :)

Think about this: fully around the rock there is a given water pressure. Water that is absorbed by the rock in the micropores can't fight that pressure, it is trapped.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that was the case rocks would never release phosphates.
It will what was gathered on the surface, but not from deep micropores. As long as you keep the rock underwater, it's trapped there. If you pull the rock out of the water, it can come out.

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will what was gathered on the surface, but not from deep micropores. As long as you keep the rock underwater, it's trapped there. If you pull the rock out of the water, it can come out.
Can you cite your sources?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just basic physics. Water always follows the path of less resistance. Water flowing around a rock won't go voluntary into an already filled micropore, because the resistance is much higher there.
Basic physics isn't all the physics there is.
There is always diffusion going on, if bacteria in the Rock eat nitrate then more nitrate will follow that gradient and seep back in from outside, whether there is flow or not. How much of that will happen no idea, but it will happen.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry @Harold999 your just straight up wrong, and science has proven many times over that bacteria do live well within the rock, and not just on the surface.

The whole idea behind cintered media in a sump is for very low flow inside the block. The low oxygen level deep within the rock and/or media is for the bacteria to convert nitrates to nitrogen gas. Those bacteria live deep within the rock/man made media where there is very low oxygen levels.

Your understanding of the science is just plain wrong.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sorry @Harold999

The whole idea behind cintered media in a sump is for very low flow inside the block.
And how many flow do you think there is OUTSIDE the block? 99,999% of the water will never reach the inside of the block, it just flows around the block towards the exit of the sump.
The amount of water going through your sump that gets the full benefit of the ceramic block is neglibible.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, your understanding of the science is just wrong. End of story.

Quit trying to come up with reasons why your right. Science, yes actual science not your banter, has proven you wrong.
Good anaeroob filters treaten the whole/total wateramount, not just the 0,01% (or whatever small amount) that succeeds to reach the deeper parts of a ceramic block.
It's a very unefficient way of removing nitrates.

You should need to find a way to let ALL the water flow through the block, then we're talking.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again, your understanding of the science is just wrong. End of story.

Quit trying to come up with reasons why your right. Science, yes actual science not your banter, has proven you wrong.
It’s funny how every now and then someone comes along with a crackpot theory to contradict something that’s been proven and duplicated 1000x...

Your not gonna convince this guy he’s not the worlds greatest reef scientist, I wouldn’t waste my time trying to reason with him ‍

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of making this a circlejerk for the believers let's get some real tests to the table. Here a controlled test of a Marine Pure block vs empty tank. At the end the nitrate levels were exactly the same in all tanks.

So does it remove nitrates? Nope.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of making this a circlejerk for the believers let's get some real tests to the table. Here a controlled test of a Marine Pure block vs empty tank. At the end the nitrate levels were exactly the same in all tanks.

So does it remove nitrates? Nope.

You think dead rock/block turns into liverock/-block in 9 weeks? Because that's what they tested, dead, uncolonized rock.

They should have tested a block like that that was already in a running system for 2 years. And liverock as comparison while they were at it.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think dead rock/block turns into liverock/-block in 9 weeks? Because that's what they tested, dead, uncolonized rock.

They should have tested a block like that that was already in a running system for 2 years. And liverock as comparison while they were at it.
The problem i read with "old" blocks (laying in the sump for a long time) is that the pores will clog, and have to be rinsed out from time to time to be open again. But if you do that you will kill the anaeroob bacteria...

Last edited:

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Failse! Dear sir you have zero understanding of rock work and saltwater hydrology as applicable to our aquariums. You have made serval conflicting statements and others that are just flat out wrong. I suggest you read Randy Farley Holmes threads on the matter to educate yourself. I only wish to educate you. Good luck!

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Failse! Dear sir you have zero understanding of rock work and saltwater hydrology as applicable to our aquariums. You have made serval conflicting statements and others that are just flat out wrong. I suggest you read Randy Farley Holmes threads on the matter to educate yourself. I only wish to educate you. Good luck!
Only saying "false" and "i should read this or that" doesn't say anything about my points. You have no valid arguments that prove otherwise.
If you want lowering your nitrates, take a refugium, an ats, or do water changes. Rock/ special bricks hardly do anything.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 86 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.6%
Back