painting pvc

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Joined
May 16, 2015
Messages
5,462
Reaction score
2,789
Location
Mitchell SD
What state or country do you live in
South Dakota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to paint my pvc pipe on my reactor but unsure if possible since most will be in the tank... it's a hob reactor
 
Yes. I used black rustolium 2x ultra cover. It will say for plastic on the can. I heard different curing times but i did 4 days.
 
Nope, once cured, you are fine. Many people use Krylon Fusion with great success and no issues.
 
0fb8221e8ef284dbacc60a0133da79e0.jpg
these are the paints i have... any knowledge?
 
I've seen it done with the Krylon in a how-to video or two, but have never done it myself - nor do I know how long it lasted for the guys who made the videos. Personal experience with pet-shop aquarium ornaments would indicate that paint won't last long (year +) under water.

~Bruce
 
I cant speak for spray paints at large but Krylon Fusion is formulated to bond to plastics. It should last fine as long as its not subjected to repeated abrasion. The other paints, I have no idea. Read the can and find out what substrates are acceptable. Painting plastics is tricky and just because it looks good does not mean it bonded. Once the paints are cured, you should not have any issues with leaching. Acrylics, enamels, urethanes and epoxies will all be safe.
 
I cant speak for spray paints at large but Krylon Fusion is formulated to bond to plastics. It should last fine as long as its not subjected to repeated abrasion. The other paints, I have no idea. Read the can and find out what substrates are acceptable. Painting plastics is tricky and just because it looks good does not mean it bonded. Once the paints are cured, you should not have any issues with leaching. Acrylics, enamels, urethanes and epoxies will all be safe.
One can says for sports equipment like cones, the other says for plastics specifically
 
I cant speak for spray paints at large but Krylon Fusion is formulated to bond to plastics. It should last fine as long as its not subjected to repeated abrasion. The other paints, I have no idea. Read the can and find out what substrates are acceptable. Painting plastics is tricky and just because it looks good does not mean it bonded. Once the paints are cured, you should not have any issues with leaching. Acrylics, enamels, urethanes and epoxies will all be safe.
How do you know it bonds?
 
How do you know it bonds?

Tells you right there on the can :D You can test it yourself. If the paint is bonded, you will have to sand it off and it will crumble off with the plastic. If it does not bond, once you break the surface of the paint, it will all peel off.
 
Tells you right there on the can :D You can test it yourself. If the paint is bonded, you will have to sand it off and it will crumble off with the plastic. If it does not bond, once you break the surface of the paint, it will all peel off.
So I would have to make a notch out of the paint... wouldn't that defeat the purpose?
 
If I put a notch in the paint and it peels off then obviously it doesn't bond. But if it doesn't peel then it's good. If it matters, I had to sand the inside of the 90's to get overspray off in order for the pipes to fit. I'm having a hard time getting it all off.
 
So I would have to make a notch out of the paint... wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

Well, on a test piece, not the finish piece :)

If I put a notch in the paint and it peels off then obviously it doesn't bond. But if it doesn't peel then it's good. If it matters, I had to sand the inside of the 90's to get overspray off in order for the pipes to fit. I'm having a hard time getting it all off.

That's a good sign! I would call that bonded.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new