Painting stand without draining tank

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved and the thought never occurred to me that I should have painted the stand before re setting it back up. It’s driving me insane having 4 different colors! Black, dark brown, turquoise, and cherry in my man corner lol. I really want to re paint the stand but breaking down is not an option. I was thinking to change the stand and side cabinets black. But I’m not sure if I can re paint the stand with little to no prep. I am pretty sure after I stained the stand I coated it with polyurethane. It’s not perfectly smooth and has a semi rough texture because I did not spend a lot of time sanding. I just used pre finished wood and a quick once over with the electric sander before staining.
So what kind of paint can I use that won’t kick off tons of fumes and still stick to polyurethane finish? The front door is removable so I can spend more time on it in the garage.
B17F2841-C8EC-4402-B931-002082D725E5.jpeg
CD50A0CF-A8CE-4616-927B-E1FE73A41841.jpeg

Caseyoidae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it! But if you must paint I’d use a semi gloss so you can wipe it clean when it gets salty. I used Home Depot semi gloss enamel on my tank with it running no problems. Also painted room the tank is in.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for which paints have the lowest VOCS, but I've painted stands with reefs running. I simply ran a ton of carbon as an insurance policy, opened all the windows in the room and ran fans pointing from under the stand towards the windows. No issues with any of the inhabitants.

Connor540

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just painted over my stand with it in place last weekend to satisfy my fiancée. She thought my bachelor pad was too dark... so compromise! My tank is in a corner so it’ll have to be finished or redone whenever we move but it was pretty straightforward. She picked out a chalk paint and after a few hours and a couple of drinks I had two coats done and solid coverage. Just need to rough it up and seal it. Left the top and base trim as is.

F9C16893-A15B-4D82-A77E-27229FD440E1.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back