Painting Tank Hood?

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm making a canopy for my tank, and it will come in contact with Salt Water, wet arms and fish splashes are a regular occurrence, and sometimes that water ends up back in the tank. I've always used stain and Marine Spar Varnish for applications like this, but I want this canopy to be white and match my upper cabinets in the house.

What white paint can I use that will be waterproof and not full of things like mold killers? What kind of paint is everyone using these days?

Thank you,
Whiskey

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I've ever used was on my DIY stand, and that was Thompsons's Water Seal. I put that down and then paint over it.
Not sure I'd want anything wooden/treated/painted sitting in my tank water.
Perhaps you need to plasti-dip it to ensure it's 100% water proof and won't leach anything into the tank?

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I've ever used was on my DIY stand, and that was Thompsons's Water Seal. I put that down and then paint over it.
Not sure I'd want anything wooden/treated/painted sitting in my tank water.
Perhaps you need to plasti-dip it to ensure it's 100% water proof and won't leach anything into the tank?
Thank you TJ!
So cool that you are in Frag!!! I used to attend that club (and PROP) many years ago, around the 2008 timeframe when I lived in Phoenix. Glad to hear it's still around!

To be clear the wood won't be sitting in water. It's just that if a fish splashes it goes up on the hood and drips back in. Or my wet arms could drip on the wood and have that drip back into the water.

Not allot of water hitting it, but enough that I don't want mold killers and things in it if you know what I mean.

Thank you,
James

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a primer and Rust-Oleum Top Side.
Its made to paint boats for saltwater environment and good againts UV.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I am a furniture builder that refuses to paint my pieces so take that with a grain of salt.

Topside is a very durable finish when it may come in contact with water. We can't get it any longer in CA as of Jan last year but it was good as anything for something that's going to get beat up.

I don't love the sheen on topside and it doesn't thin well so take that into consideration.

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thats inside the stand/canopy. I stained the outside thou and covered with polyurethane :)

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dunno ... silicon some acrylic into the canopy ... thinking out loud. Last canopy I had was full of lights.

OP
OP
Wiskey

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That topside stuff looks like just the ticket actually!!! Now I just have to research out how to spray it (or how to spray any paint that comes in a can really), I know that makes a much nicer finish.

Thank you everyone!
Whiskey

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 104 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back