Pairing clownfish question

Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

TJ Merrells

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 31, 2018
Messages
130
Reaction score
75
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 reefing buddies that are both selling clownfish. One is about a year old and the other is 2. I understand that clowns are all born females but I'm not sure at what point they change sexes and I'm not sure the sex of these.

I know the 1 year old clown is an ocelarris clown that's in with a pair of designers. The 2 year old is a clown stuck in someone sump because he was picking on a juvi black ice clown.

My questions is can you pair 2 mature clowns when you don't know what sex they currently are?

Thx
 
Yes, the can pair up. From my understanding, all clownfish are born male, but the most dominant ones will turn into a female. If they are the same size, then sometimes there's some aggression between them, but usually they figure out who will be the male, and who will be the female, and they'll pair up.
 
They start off as males, and regardless of their sex one will turn to a female if they decide they want to play nice together.
 
Ok thx you guys. I was just worried if they were mature that possibly their gender would have already been set and issues would arise as compared to pairing juveniles. Don't hear much about reefers putting 2 mature fish together
 
Ok thx you guys. I was just worried if they were mature that possibly their gender would have already been set and issues would arise as compared to pairing juveniles. Don't hear much about reefers putting 2 mature fish together
I’d recommend putting them in at the same time if possible, besides for that it’s really up to the fish to decide if they want to pair up..good luck!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new