Pairing clownfish question

TJ Merrells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 reefing buddies that are both selling clownfish. One is about a year old and the other is 2. I understand that clowns are all born females but I'm not sure at what point they change sexes and I'm not sure the sex of these.

I know the 1 year old clown is an ocelarris clown that's in with a pair of designers. The 2 year old is a clown stuck in someone sump because he was picking on a juvi black ice clown.

My questions is can you pair 2 mature clowns when you don't know what sex they currently are?

Thx

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the can pair up. From my understanding, all clownfish are born male, but the most dominant ones will turn into a female. If they are the same size, then sometimes there's some aggression between them, but usually they figure out who will be the male, and who will be the female, and they'll pair up.

OP
OP
T

TJ Merrells

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thx you guys. I was just worried if they were mature that possibly their gender would have already been set and issues would arise as compared to pairing juveniles. Don't hear much about reefers putting 2 mature fish together

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thx you guys. I was just worried if they were mature that possibly their gender would have already been set and issues would arise as compared to pairing juveniles. Don't hear much about reefers putting 2 mature fish together
I’d recommend putting them in at the same time if possible, besides for that it’s really up to the fish to decide if they want to pair up..good luck!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back