Pairing clownfish

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my goal is to get clownfish to pair up is it a bad idea to not add them at the same time? I’d like to pair a black storm with either a phantom or a DaVinci. My lfs doesn’t have anything other than black storms that I’m interested in that’s why I’m asking.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If my goal is to get clownfish to pair up is it a bad idea to not add them at the same time? I’d like to pair a black storm with either a phantom or a DaVinci. My lfs doesn’t have anything other than black storms that I’m interested in that’s why I’m asking.

There are several ways to introduce clownfish in hopes of getting them to pair - please understand the process will not be a sure thing no matter how you do it. While many recommend starting with two juveniles, IME I have had better luck starting with a bigger and a smaller fish from the beginning. Matching designer clownfish can be slightly more of a challenge, but still very doable. If you find a storm that you really like then it is not unreasonable to go ahead and purchase it now and then get a smaller fish later. Please realize that a clownfish left in a tank with no other clowns for a while will likely start transitioning into a female. When you add the smaller fish in the future it should be a juvenile and then it transition into the male.

In summary, not a sure thing but reasonable to try. With clowns that's about all you can ask for. Good luck!

OP
OP
Westoncase

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several ways to introduce clownfish in hopes of getting them to pair - please understand the process will not be a sure thing no matter how you do it. While many recommend starting with two juveniles, IME I have had better luck starting with a bigger and a smaller fish from the beginning. Matching designer clownfish can be slightly more of a challenge, but still very doable. If you find a storm that you really like then it is not unreasonable to go ahead and purchase it now and then get a smaller fish later. Please realize that a clownfish left in a tank with no other clowns for a while will likely start transitioning into a female. When you add the smaller fish in the future it should be a juvenile and then it transition into the male.

In summary, not a sure thing but reasonable to try. With clowns that's about all you can ask for. Good luck!

How long does it take for a clown to turn female, and what triggers it? I know the bigger more dominate one will turn female

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long does it take for a clown to turn female, and what triggers it? I know the bigger more dominate one will turn female

Great question! According to Wilkerson's (1998) book Clownfishes, "the entire conversion in gender can be completed in a month or less" (p. 134).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back