Pairing clowns (injury fish care)

Jennydinh143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i got a second clown (orange, smaller than the one i currently have) and i want them to pair but as soon as i put in the new orange one, the black one started attack its fins! Any tips on how to care for the ripped fins and get them to get along?

I currently have the new clown in the acclimation box, should i put the aggressive one in there instead so the new clown can get comfortable in the tank?

The black clown has only been in the tank alone for a month, i dont think it transitioned to female yet.

IMG_2498.jpeg IMG_2485.jpeg IMG_2488.jpeg

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I had this same issue, I saw the best results from adding the aggressive one to an acclimation box for a week but it ultimately reverted back to hyper aggression after about a month with nonstop chasing around the tank. I ended up exchanging the aggressive clown at my LFS.

Can the injured one swim and eat ok?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i got a second clown (orange, smaller than the one i currently have) and i want them to pair but as soon as i put in the new orange one, the black one started attack its fins! Any tips on how to care for the ripped fins and get them to get along?

I currently have the new clown in the acclimation box, should i put the aggressive one in there instead so the new clown can get comfortable in the tank?

The black clown has only been in the tank alone for a month, i dont think it transitioned to female yet.

IMO - it is better to place the aggressive clown into the acclimation box, as long as there are not any other fish in the main tank that would continue injure it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The black one seem to be Percula and the orange one is an Ocellaris. Cross species pairing tend to be harder because they “don’t speak the same language”. The smaller one may be capitulated but cannot get the message to the larger one. You can leaving see each other but not able to get to each other for several weeks then releases them together.
In pairing clowns I normally confined the weaker one. My thought is to give the larger one a stronger hand so the weaker one capitulates even quicker thus end the fighting. It we confined the larger one, we help the smaller one, even the field thus prolong the fighting.

When paring mixed breed clown fish, they seem to gravitate toward similar marking. I don’t really know why this is the case, but IME clownfish are somewhat “racist “:)

OP
OP
Jennydinh143

Jennydinh143

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it folks don't like to wait. But this is so much easier when you wait until you are confident one has transitioned to female then add the male which I just choose the smallest I can find.
I was told by am employee at my lfs that the longer i wait the hard it would be to pair

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are in a tough substation, you should have bought the pair at the same time, if in a store you can watch them pairing and getting along, or if purchased online, make sure you told the vendor they have to be a pair, now that they are together for the first time it's just hit or miss, and if the aggressive one keeps picking on the other one you should remove it to another tank or see if you can return it.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by am employee at my lfs that the longer i wait the hard it would be to pair
This has not be true for me. Adding two males at once has ended in death, tho it works for some it didn't for me. Adding one and letting it transition to female then adding a small male has been 100% succesful but I have only paired them 5 or 6 times. I have paired maroons this way and they are one of the more difficult species to pair. JME

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 83 45.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.4%
Back