Pairing Longnose Butterflyfish

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired 5 young (about 2.5 inches from base of tail to base of snout) Forcipiger flavissimus. They're in my 40 gallon QT together along with some other small fish. I was looking for any experience pairing this species specifically or even just butterflies in general: any behaviors I should watch out for, good/bad signs, etc.

It's only been a couple days so far but it seems like none of them really like each other: a decent amount of posturing and some quick chasing away here and there.

Am I just really unlucky? How long do they usually take to figure things out?

dhanking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently they don't like their own species. While researching I did notice however that keeping them in salinity of 1.020 was better for them so that might help them pair up. Over time they just slowly pair up but the tank for pairing needs to be 100 gal.

Bubbles!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 2.5 inches, they're most likely still juveniles, so pairing won't happen until they're larger/ more mature. Just keep them well fed and healthy and nature will take its course.
As dhanking mentioned, they're going to need a bigger tank, ideally with LOTS of hiding places. The more, the better. It will help keep aggression down.
Good luck!

OP
OP
Steve and his Animals

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 2.5 inches, they're most likely still juveniles, so pairing won't happen until they're larger/ more mature. Just keep them well fed and healthy and nature will take its course.
As dhanking mentioned, they're going to need a bigger tank, ideally with LOTS of hiding places. The more, the better. It will help keep aggression down.
Good luck!
That's interesting, because, while I don't remember where exactly, I've read that butterflies often pair when younger/when they first reach maturity. Maybe that isn't the case with all species. I'll keep that in mind though.

Esox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently acquired 5 young (about 2.5 inches from base of tail to base of snout) Forcipiger flavissimus. They're in my 40 gallon QT together along with some other small fish. I was looking for any experience pairing this species specifically or even just butterflies in general: any behaviors I should watch out for, good/bad signs, etc.

It's only been a couple days so far but it seems like none of them really like each other: a decent amount of posturing and some quick chasing away here and there.

Am I just really unlucky? How long do they usually take to figure things out?

Did any of them ever pair up?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back