Pairing maroon clownfish

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought 2 maroons last week. One 4 inches long and the other just around 1.75 inches. They were not a pair. Both kept in seperate tanks. I put them in a bare tank that I recently took down and set back up. I did this thinking if the female has nothing to “protect” in the tank, she wont be so aggressive. I put the smaller one in a isolation box in the tank with the ‘female’ and the first 3 mins she tried to attack through the box. After that she cooled down and didn’t bother anymore at all. 4 days in the box and i let the ‘male’ out, dropped pellets in right after to get the females attention off the male. When the female saw the male she swam right up to him pushing him around opening her mouth looking like she wants to bite him and he immediately started doing the vibrating thing being submissive and the female seemed like she was being more and more chill with him as he kept doing the vibratins on and on. The smaller one would push itself up into the female while doing the vibrations too. 10 mins in and they are both fine, sitting in the females corner together now sometimes still having some 2-3 second tussles every now and then but the female is no longer trying to bite. Shes just pushing him around. hoping they pair up ok. Im gonna sit here watching in case things go bad

D946ED19-F89A-42AD-BA40-EB32157767CB.jpeg

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 clowns at the same time but from different LFS. Dumped them in the same bucket and acclimated them together. They were like what the HE double hockey sticks is going on... we better stick together... they have been a pair ever since.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 clowns at the same time but from different LFS. Dumped them in the same bucket and acclimated them together. They were like what the HE double hockey sticks is going on... we better stick together... they have been a pair ever since.
I always thought it was very hard to pair. Even the lfs told me its hard to pair them. I went for the largest and the smallest they had. There isn’t really any fighting

Reevak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought it was very hard to pair. Even the lfs told me its hard to pair them. I went for the largest and the smallest they had. There isn’t really any fighting
Was wondering how they were doing after a couple weeks. I just got a maroon clownfish and will pair it in the distant future so I was just curious about your clowns

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering how they were doing after a couple weeks. I just got a maroon clownfish and will pair it in the distant future so I was just curious about your clowns
I can say theyre a pair now. Sleeping in their pot together. No more ‘fighting’ as the first week. I think you should get one big and one as small as you can find at the same time so they settle in the new tank together. Thats what i did and it seemed to have worked out very well.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the size. No trouble for me at all with pairing my maroons about the same size. Had the female about 6 years before male.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say theyre a pair now. Sleeping in their pot together. No more ‘fighting’ as the first week. I think you should get one big and one as small as you can find at the same time so they settle in the new tank together. Thats what i did and it seemed to have worked out very well.
This. Usually dimorphism works IME when attempting to pair clownfish (non designer). I paired a few different maroons, lightning maroons and Tomato's the same way. Currently have a pair of skunks that were paired to begin with, some days they are next to each other some days they are on opposite sides of the tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

• I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back