Pairing new, young clownfish? Do I have to worry about separating them?

NancyFish

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2024
Messages
680
Reaction score
206
Location
conneticut
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish pairing.. We got our first clownfish a few days ago 1.5”, she’s in a QT. We got the second 1” looks very tiny, we hope to pair tonight. I know the nipping is part of dominance. But I’m afraid of leaving the little one overnight and waking up to a dead fish.

I’m thinking I’ll add a container at least for my own piece of mind. But when they’re both young, any tips to make this a smoother transition? I don’t know if the one is actually nipping or just darting and it’s bedtime.

IMG_1698.jpeg
 
if you see any ripped fins then its time to remove one of them. Otherwise let them work it out on their own
 
I’ll have to check them in the morning, the little one kept following the big one but not fighting back. I figured since both were very young it wouldn’t be too much fuss, but one definitely was asserting dominance.
 
Separate the two and put one sea anemone after getting familiar with each other. They can pair up smoothly and become a couple.
 
At such a small size, there shouldn't be an issue. That said, each clownfish has its own personality and in my experience Ocellaris tend to be a bit meaner and unpredictable than say, Percula. One suggestion is to be careful of quickly turning on/off lighting which can startle them, and a sudden change of appearance can cause aggression.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new