Pairing Scribbled Angelfish

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news! Apparently the fish is settling in in its new section of the tank. This is quite longer than the usual “cube sections” which gives it more swimming room. I visited today and boy is it eating! Will take the beauty home next week after I finish quarantining my Chrysurus!

P.S.They’re the largest pair of scribbleds. My next assignment would be pairing them in my QT.
How big is your dt? I’ve been thinking of putting a pair of scribbled angels in my 205 gallon when the water and time is right

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an 8x2x2 240-gal DT
Nice. Mine’s a 5 x 2.5 x 2.5 203 gallon DT. I was thinking of either a pair of scribbled or a Scribbled and a conspicuous or a Scribbled and a gold flake. Definitely want at least one scribbled

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Mine’s a 5 x 2.5 x 2.5 203 gallon DT. I was thinking of either a pair of scribbled or a Scribbled and a conspicuous or a Scribbled and a gold flake. Definitely want at least one scribbled

Heck, if I've got the money I'll get the conspicuous, no question. I'll just make sure that the conspic is smaller than the scribbled. That will give the scribbled a chance to turn into a male (since they're both Chaetodontoplus species). Good luck with your fish! :D

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck, if I've got the money I'll get the conspicuous, no question. I'll just make sure that the conspic is smaller than the scribbled. That will give the scribbled a chance to turn into a male (since they're both Chaetodontoplus species). Good luck with your fish! :D
Thank you very much. I’m leaning towards that combination. I heard that Conspic can become a ich magnet because his skin is like a tang. Not sure if that’s true or not though. I only heard it once however it was from someone that I trust on most things fish related. I’m hoping to get both captive bred. I live outside of the States as well. So shipping becomes more of an issue at the border

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much. I’m leaning towards that combination. I heard that Conspic can become a ich magnet because his skin is like a tang. Not sure if that’s true or not though. I only heard it once however it was from someone that I trust on most things fish related. I’m hoping to get both captive bred. I live outside of the States as well. So shipping becomes more of an issue at the border

I think generally all angels are ich magnets (although they're very much susceptible to flukes). So I usually quarantine all my angels in copper and prazi before they go to the DT.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think generally all angels are ich magnets (although they're very much susceptible to flukes). So I usually quarantine all my angels in copper and prazi before they go to the DT.
Ok good to know. I do plan on putting all my fish through QT. I did get told by the same person that using products on the fish in qt shorten there life. He believes in putting them in qt and only using products if need be. He also believes that your qt should be set up like a dt with skimmer and all Thoughts?

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok good to know. I do plan on putting all my fish through QT. I did get told by the same person that using products on the fish in qt shorten there life. He believes in putting them in qt and only using products if need be. He also believes that your qt should be set up like a dt with skimmer and all Thoughts?

I've never had problems of a QT with only an overflow box (with sponge) and a wavemaker (with an airstone as an emergency/additional air supply; I only use this when there's a bacterial bloom or when I'm dosing antibiotics).

I'm not sure about the life-shortening part, but I personally wouldn't want to gamble with disease that's why I QT my fish. Of course, each to their own.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had problems of a QT with only an overflow box (with sponge) and a wavemaker (with an airstone as an emergency/additional air supply; I only use this when there's a bacterial bloom or when I'm dosing antibiotics).

I'm not sure about the life-shortening part, but I personally wouldn't want to gamble with disease that's why I QT my fish. Of course, each to their own.
I’ll definitely be qt’ing my fish. You put in a second air stone when you medicate in your qt tank?

reefproaquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that there is any hard evidence of medications shortening a fish's life span. One thing we rarely ever know and may not take into consideration is the age of the fish we are purchasing. I can say that I have personally seen fish that have been treated live well over 10 years.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll definitely be qt’ing my fish. You put in a second air stone when you medicate in your qt tank?

Only when needed. In cases of bacterial bloom (usually because of prazi) or antibiotic medications.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that there is any hard evidence of medications shortening a fish's life span. One thing we rarely ever know and may not take into consideration is the age of the fish we are purchasing. I can say that I have personally seen fish that have been treated live well over 10 years.
Ok good. There safety is something that I want to take lots of pride in

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, just an update, my worst fears are realized, the larger scribbled angel isn’t eating although it is constantly foraging for food (picking on the glass etc.) I’ve tried dropping a clam on the half shell it did pick it but once the meat came off the shell, it didn’t bother finishing it. I also tried some nori and he did pick on it a few bites then done. The LFS saw it eating pellets previously, now it’s not really eating much. Any suggestions? Tagging @4FordFamily and hope he’d chime in.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did an FW dip and this fell from the scribbled:
748AD384-60DF-4E24-BCD9-37AC761A3373.jpeg

I assume those are flukes?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did an FW dip and this fell from the scribbled:
748AD384-60DF-4E24-BCD9-37AC761A3373.jpeg

I assume those are flukes?
Hard to tell for sure but anything falling off is not good typically. A few things usually end up down there but flukes typically resemble sesame seeds at the bottom. Flukes are very common in angels and after a few weeks in QT with them unchecked they can do a lot of damage and stress them significantly.

For angels, water quality is a large component for successful feedings. Clams and mussels are great for triggering feeding responses but foul the water VERY quickly. This can be a death sentence, so I use it as a last resort and do a large water change after two days to hopefully nullify it. If it sits in there for a day you can be sure the water is nasty, if it's eaten quickly it will take a few days.

Regarding feeding, if clams or mussels dont work, not much is likely to work.

Formula two flakes seem to work for finicky/stubborn eaters, oddly enough. Live blackworms and for small fish live brine can trigger feeding response due to the movement.

If the animal has flukes, removing those should impact his appetite very positively within 24-48 hours. I recommend a prazi "dip" (follow instructions for a bath on the bottle) and then prazi in the QT 5-7 days apart, you can double the dose for this as you'll want to be aggressive as many of these new flukes are pretty nasty and resilient.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell for sure but anything falling off is not good typically. A few things usually end up down there but flukes typically resemble sesame seeds at the bottom. Flukes are very common in angels and after a few weeks in QT with them unchecked they can do a lot of damage and stress them significantly.

For angels, water quality is a large component for successful feedings. Clams and mussels are great for triggering feeding responses but foul the water VERY quickly. This can be a death sentence, so I use it as a last resort and do a large water change after two days to hopefully nullify it. If it sits in there for a day you can be sure the water is nasty, if it's eaten quickly it will take a few days.

Formula two flakes seem to work for finicky/stubborn eaters, oddly enough. Live blackworms and for small fish live brine can trigger feeding response due to the movement.

If the animal has flukes, removing those should impact his appetite very positively within 24-48 hours. I recommend a prazi "dip" (follow instructions for a bath on the bottle) and then prazi in the QT 5-7 days apart, you can double the dose for this as you'll want to be aggressive as many of these new flukes are pretty nasty and resilient.

Well, good thing is it is eating clams. I was thinking of having pellets/mysis frozen on the clam shell and offer it to him since he likes picking on it. I plan to feed clams once a day so as to make sure he doesn’t starve out. While still offering pellets, mysis and frozen fare until he realizes everything I’m dropping in is food. I usually pull out the clam (finished or unfinished) after 2-4 hours.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, good thing is it is eating clams. I was thinking of having pellets/mysis frozen on the clam shell and offer it to him since he likes picking on it. I plan to feed clams once a day so as to make sure he doesn’t starve out. While still offering pellets, mysis and frozen fare until he realizes everything I’m dropping in is food. I usually pull out the clam (finished or unfinished) after 2-4 hours.

Hi @4FordFamily I tried to feed him a clam today, he ate the clam until it is detached from its shell, once the meat is gone from the shell, it doesn’t finish the clam anymore. I tried freezing mysis and pellets mixed in RODI water with some garlic guard on the same shell, he also did the same thing, ate from the shell until the frozen stuff gets detached from the shell and then stops eating.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @4FordFamily I tried to feed him a clam today, he ate the clam until it is detached from its shell, once the meat is gone from the shell, it doesn’t finish the clam anymore. I tried freezing mysis and pellets mixed in RODI water with some garlic guard on the same shell, he also did the same thing, ate from the shell until the frozen stuff gets detached from the shell and then stops eating.
Did you give him a prazi bath as suggested? Large water change? I suspect these two may be at play here.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back