Pairing Scribbled Angelfish

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally got home from travels and could see the videos. They look really good pairing wise, well done. I might recommend a lot more cover, often I will use clean terracotta pots as hides for larger fish than i have PVC for. it's important that they feel settled and they both looked stressed in the videos. which can put a strain on the pairing process.

The respiration rate and head/body twitching in the videos gives me pause that there may be some infection.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally got home from travels and could see the videos. They look really good pairing wise, well done. I might recommend a lot more cover, often I will use clean terracotta pots as hides for larger fish than i have PVC for. it's important that they feel settled and they both looked stressed in the videos. which can put a strain on the pairing process.

The respiration rate and head/body twitching in the videos gives me pause that there may be some infection.

I'll start dosing prazipro this week to address any possibility of flukes. I'm worried about terracotta pots as they absorb medication and I'm planning to dose copper, I guess I'll find a large PVC pipe for the big one to hide in? Also here's an update video I just shot today. Aggression has greatly reduced and the smaller one comes out more often now.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could consider stepping up to general cure as they are already in qt. I might consider medicating the food as well incase it is internal.

That is the downside to terracotta, it will absorb copper. alternative strategies I have used is piling a lot of PVC up, using plastic plants, or plastic sheets, even more elaborate egg crate structures just to divide up space, give them things to pay attention to and pick over.

Luckily they look like a pair in that video.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 in my DT for about a year. They are just a tad bigger but they grow really slow!!! Neither mine or yours are mature enough for courting or mating. They are still juveniles.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could consider stepping up to general cure as they are already in qt. I might consider medicating the food as well incase it is internal.

That is the downside to terracotta, it will absorb copper. alternative strategies I have used is piling a lot of PVC up, using plastic plants, or plastic sheets, even more elaborate egg crate structures just to divide up space, give them things to pay attention to and pick over.

Luckily they look like a pair in that video.

I'll mix metroplex and focus with food right?

Should I let that divider stay there? The larger one usually goes there at night to rest. This is in case I won't get my hands on a large enough PVC pipe.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll mix metroplex and focus with food right?

Should I let that divider stay there? The larger one usually goes there at night to rest. This is in case I won't get my hands on a large enough PVC pipe.

you can just mix like that or you can get one of the premade foods.

I would leave the egg crate in, if you have extra they might appreciate it being tossed in

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can just mix like that or you can get one of the premade foods.

I would leave the egg crate in, if you have extra they might appreciate it being tossed in

Alright, thanks for all the feedback! Will continue to update this thread until they go into the DT.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, how long will the larger one transition to male coloration?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent question, I have no idea but perhaps others have some ideas or guesses? I know Centropyge can do so in as little as 60 days perhaps faster, no idea for the larger genus(es?Geni? genera? I forget the plural).

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent question, I have no idea but perhaps others have some ideas or guesses? I know Centropyge can do so in as little as 60 days perhaps faster, no idea for the larger genus(es?Geni? genera? I forget the plural).

I guess I'll be patient and try to document the changes then! :D

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed something with the larger scribbled angelfish. It has developed a habit of twitching its head. For some reason, it's already in its third week of copper and he didn't stop this habit. He usually does this when a person comes near the QT (both of them read it as "eating time"). How can I be sure that it's not caused by disease but rather just a weird habit?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hmm difficult to prove a negative. Could be a treatment resistant strain like the aforementioned copper resistant strain of velvet, or a prazi resistant strain of flukes. Could also be nothing and just a strange habit as you say.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hmm difficult to prove a negative. Could be a treatment resistant strain like the aforementioned copper resistant strain of velvet, or a prazi resistant strain of flukes. Could also be nothing and just a strange habit as you say.

Yes, but if it's a copper-resistant strain of velvet, shouldn't the fish be dead by now?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes is more likely, and if it has been in copper then the disease may hypothetically be suppressed to a manageable degree by the angels immune system.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes is more likely, and if it has been in copper then the disease may hypothetically be suppressed to a manageable degree by the angels immune system.

I'll try to look into occasions where it will twitch its head randomly. Because so far, the only thing I observe is that it twitch its head "violently" when I'm coming near to the tank, like he's excited to eat or something.

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video of the twitching I was referring to:

OP
OP
M

mjreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi so I transferred them to the DT yesterday night, and it seems that they're really not paired up but just coexisting, I'm still hoping that eventually they'd pair up. They actually would swim separately most of the time. Here's a video of them:

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won't spend all day side by side. Angels naturally forage within a few yards of each other, and will come back to each other occasionally to check in. They will come together in the evening to do their prespawn dance and spawn around sunset. It may take a few months or years to begin spawning, and I am not sure if scribbled need a seasonal trigger like temp change or photoperiod. Because they are capable of sex change, generally two individuals don't simply coexist, they pair or kill each other.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back