Pale or bleaching corals?

BaliSurferDude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last few days I've had the impression that my corals have become lighter in color, resembling Zeovit pastels. Today, I was sad to discover that one of my main showpiece corals, a big red puffy Lobo, looks like is starting to lose some pale tissue close to the mouths.

First thing that came to mind was the stories I've read about "SPS tip burn", from too high alkalinity, in ULNS. I've been bringing up alk slowly over the last few weeks, with 2-part, from 6.6 dkH to 12 dkH, testing with Hanna Alkalinity meter. Last time that I checked phosphorus with my Hanna meter I measured 0 ppb, which I thought was erroneous, because I had to recalibrate C1 with another tube when the meter turned itself off and such. Also I'm not running a skimmer or a refugium on the system, while feeding 0.5 cubes of frozen food/day (2 small fish). Checked now and got 6 ppb. Nitrates have been undetectable every measurement, including today. That may be because the Red Sea nitrate pro test reagents are two years past expiration. All other tests are within expiration dates.

Seems unlikely that my corals are going pale because of too high Alk. Maybe not enough food?

Last weeks, I've had an outbreak of green hair algae and some cyano, after starting to add a bit of sandbed to my previously bare bottom tank. The algae and cyano has died back to nothing, by itself, now. Still some algea in the sump, where I keep some frags. The sump is light with a Maxspect Razor 60W LED fixture.

Also, started dosing kalkwasser in ATO yesterday, but a weak solution (0.8 teaspoon/gallon RO/DI). I mixed the kalk in a seperate bucket with a lid and let the percipitate settle for about 2 hours, before i decanted the clearish liquid into my ATO container. The ATO intake is elevated a couple of inches above the bottom, just in case there would be any percipitate that got acidentally transferred from the mixing bucket or there would be any further settling of suspended percipitate in the ATO container. Pretty sure I have not dosed any kalk percipitate into the tank, causing a pH fluctuation. Also, these changes seem to have been ongoing for at least a few days before I started kalkwasser dosing.

My plan is to increase feeding to 1 cube frozen food/day, and perform as close to a 100% water change as I can. Water change in case there is some contaminant that I haven't/can't measure for.

I would deeply appreciate some more thoughts about this situation.
20191013_235114.jpg
20191013_235042.jpg

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I am not able to pinpoint what is going on in your tank as it seems like there are multiple things going on in a short period of time. Increasing the alk from 6.6 to 12 in a few weeks would be my first suspect as well. I’ve seen negative affects from minor swings over the course of 24 hours. 6.6 is pretty low and 12 to me is pretty high. I like to keep mine between 8 and 9.

It’s possible the algae bloom could’ve stripped the water of nitrates. This can contribute to pale colors. I think you’re on the right track with feeding more. You don’t really have any filtration to limit, so feeding more is your best option to get your nitrates up. I wouldn’t bother with dosing nitrates as I’ve found this method to be unsustainable.

I would not advise the 100% water change. If your issue is a lack of nutrients, this will make things even worse. Instead, if you suspect the water may be contaminated by faulty equipment or something, I suggest running Metasorb by Two Little Fishies. It worked well for me when I had a Powerhead cord break open and corrode.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back