Paling SPS

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The majority of my SPS have paled out over the last week. Growth has slowed some also. All pieces still have great polyp extension. Just a lack of color. I'm attributing it to the fact that my nutrients got too low. Nothing else in my system has changed. NO3 got to 0.0, PO4 was 4ppb. Does this diagnosis sound correct? Also After nutrients have been corrected, how long until I should see color come back?

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct assumption. You might also dial your lights back a bit 10-20% (not points, percent) for a couple of weeks.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The majority of my SPS have paled out over the last week. Growth has slowed some also. All pieces still have great polyp extension. Just a lack of color. I'm attributing it to the fact that my nutrients got too low. Nothing else in my system has changed. NO3 got to 0.0, PO4 was 4ppb. Does this diagnosis sound correct? Also After nutrients have been corrected, how long until I should see color come back?
I'm in the same boat as you with one of my SPS tanks. Same exact NO3 0.0 and PO4 4 ppm. I think my NO3 dropped when I performed a large water change and vacuumed the sand bed. I started feeding more and dosing Brighwell NeoNitro. I've seen a big improvement in color in the past week.

ctpeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Critical to not spike KH until you get your numbers correct.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back