Pallet shelving for aquarium stand?

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys would like your opinion. Building a fish room in my basement where it will house a sump, frag tank, possibly separate fuge and qt... Etc.

What's your opinion on using pallet racking for a stand. Strong enough to hold it. But I have gotten and researched many different opinions both ways..

What do you guys use?

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x4s and plywood. pallets can work, if you get quality, even ones that haven't been damaged or warped. but remember pallets tend to be made cheap so I'd be very careful. if youre just looking for a cheap stand to hold everything you can build one for about 40-50 bucks and a couple hours work.

OP
OP
Balz3352

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean pallet racking like what costco uses for shelves

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah that's different. the only issue is rust at that point and if you get the ones that are coated they'll be fine. but remember, you want to be well below the weight limits. but for the cost I would probably just build a stand out of 2x4

OP
OP
Balz3352

Balz3352

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend that gets used ones from closed down shops stores etc so I could cherry pick most intact powder and coated but a 8' tall by 30in deep by 7 or 8 foot is only $180 with everything for 4 shelves

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that's the route you want to go. ive seen people run them. but a DIY 2x4 stand to support your needs would cost less and last longer. but if you don't want to build a stand then I say you got the best overall plan.

tonto95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your idea of pallet racks. They are adjustable and can hold considerable weight. Rust that would affect stability should be a long time.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The racks if powder coating is intact won't rust unless it's chipped. Then you could use spray plastic coating to protect it. I believe the racks a good idea if you have the room. It's adjustability is a plus over a nailed n screwed stand. It's also easily modified if tad too tall.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back