OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Necrosis finally stopped on my Oregon. The toll was about 35-40% on a 3/4inch frag. Crossing fingers on this one. On the bright side. Splurged a bit with sps. ATL Joleen, JF Fox flame and a couple of no names.

20190331_181739.jpg

20190331_181729.jpg

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news todays. Tort fully RTN'ed this morning. I'll be leaving the frag where it is as a reminder. It just really sucks tort went away. It survived my upgrade, survive my mass SPS RTN and only RTN'ed due to urchin knocking it down and to end touching another acro. Lesson learned. Will be a little more mindfully regarding which acro's can be kept alongside each other.

On to a more bright beginning. LFS recommended a mushroom for dirt cheap and looks amazing. As an impulse buy. I bought the sucker without research again. Turns out mushrooms and other softies can't be glued down like the others. I currently have the mushroom in a jar with frag rocks in hopes to have the sucker attach to the rock. Will post pic in the morning. Recently just scored a very nice dragon soul torch;Smuggrin;Smuggrin;Smuggrin. @LukeWolf you'll be my first customer once a frag becomes available since we both lucked out from calikids firesale.
adfcbf11-5650-493b-8a10-9370598c989a-jpeg.1031219

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, my soul torch did not arrive. According with Fedex, the packaged was delivered to a different unit. I went to the unit in hopes of finding the a package to no avail. Knocked to see if the received anything and said no. This really leave a big sour taste as this is my first shipped coral. Fortunately the shipper was very helpfully with the ordeal. After mmore than 48 hours, I can assume that th coral is gone already. Anyone have better tips regarding shipped coral?

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased 3Dreefing diffusers for both the hydra 26 and prime and hopefully it comes by next week. I've seen some youtube videos and looks very promising. Regarding my torch, unfortunately that things gone already. Fortunatelt enough @Tim340 is very understanding and will be shipping a replacement next week. I felt bad that it had to be this way but, Tim reassured me that it's part of business and it does suck. Tim340 stands behind his corals and will be doing business at any given time with him.

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lamrack angel is doing great. Eating mysis, cyclops and pellets. Suprisingly enough the angel doesn't like fish eggs??? I understand that the Lamrack is a plantivore. Anyone have other alternatives besides what I mentioned?

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One month upgrade. Everything is doing great so far. Funny thing, Lamarck angel is actually afraid of my Bluestar wrasse but at leaast is still eating. Corals are doing ok with some growth coming from my SPS. Ordered diffuser for both my Hydra26 and AI Prime. I really need to get my hands on a PAR meter too record current PAR with diffusers on. Regarding the diffuser, I don't know if the plate is supposed to be smooth side down? Hopefully this tank will do better compared with my Nuvo 20. Just secure an Arka Vida GT Dosing pump even though I only dose 8mL daily. Iv'e read that you should be diluting both alk and cal is recomended so the doser can dose more. Do you just use RO/DI water to dilute? Future plan would be getting a clam probably a Maxima. Only problem is my flow. My low flow side is where my AI Prime is and don't think PAR would be enough.

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Further update: Corals both SPS and LPS showed significantly better growth with the nuvo 40 compared with the nuvo 20. The only thing I can think of would be more volume and better stability. The skimmer can also be a factor. Weird thing is that the 40 is getting an average 7.8 pH compared with 8.2 with the nuvo 20 and skimmer. It might be counterintuitive but, again more volume stability is playing the bigger factor here. Hopefully, this goes on. My supplier is shipping my another dragon torch to be delivered later this morning. Crossing fingers that this package comes in one piece and not DOA. Had a weird algae bloom that lasted for about 48 hours and is currently gone. Diffusers are definitely doing their job. Tank looks clearer with minimal light spill. Again based on the extra volume, tank has less glass scrubbing compared with the 20 gallon. My BTA that almost died in my 20 is finally coming back to life. I'm keeping it to remind myself regarding impulse purchase.

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since my nuvo 20, I've been having brown/maroonish algae growing on my refugium chamber. I realized that flow could be a contributing factor. Ordered a tunze 6015 and placed on the first chamber. I'll give it about a month. If it doesn't work, I can just place it on the DT for added flow.

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something weird I noticed. While moving my Soul torch around, I noticed that my splatter hammer didn't like my Soul torch as its neighbor. On the other hand, my green and purple hammer didn't mind the torch at all.
Oh and a good update on my Tunze. It looks like the Tunze did the job at keeping the brownish algae away from my refugium chamber. A little too early to call it a win but, it does look like a win.

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been busy with work so I'm really behind when it comew with pics. Forgot to mention the Dwarf lionfish my son decided to purchase. I was a little hesitant at first but after seeing the sucker eat frozen I was all in. Tried to feed the lion after purchase and would not eat at all. After three days without food, I became a little concerned. My plan was to buy some ghost shrimp on day four just to entice it a little bit. Came home and tried one more time and it finally ate. I was so relieved that the lionfish is now eating. The next problem is now, it eats like a pig. My wrasse likes it mysis on the sandbed but now has a somewhat faster competition. I've read up on DLF care some more and noticed a good majority of them feeding live. I get the point that they are suppose to predators and are suppose to hunt. If I start feeding live, would the DLF still eat frozen? I'll try to post some pics when I get off from work.

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My noob butt failed to realize how potent my dragon soul torch is. It killed both my blasto, cristata torch and almost killed my OG hammer. I realized that the tentacles droop down when all the flow is turned off. On the brightside, dragon torch looks to be growing another head. Thanks reef roids. Also realized that not all SPS frags are the same. I had a no name acro for about two months then, out of nowhere RTN'ed on me. Parameters are within limits and the other acro'd are doing well and encrusting. My current batch of SPS will be it for awhile and hope that they grow. LPS on the other hand, are almost growing like weeds. And of course pics of my tank.

20190514_151813.jpg

20190514_151850.jpg

OP
OP
BadPanda

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a way overdue update. If I didn't mention it here, I recently purchased a dwarf lionfish for Jr. Three weeks after lionfish introduction, I noticed GHA growing. Haven't checked phos or nitrates due to busy schedule. I'm pretty sure the extra feeding is the main contributor to GHA. In regards with GHA, I noticed that they are only growing on the highflow side across from my gyre. Is this normal? Depending on the phos and nitrate results ths weekend, I might have to purcahse a skimmer. A definite fact though is that I finally have a reason to but a tailspot blenny and lettuce nudi. Will be supplementing with nori once GHA goes away. The tank was doing really good with a skimmer and everything is growing until the extra feeding was included. A clam would also be an option since I got rid of the bumblebee snails during the upgrade. Been reading up on GHA and would like to consider a biological approach first before I go with Chem warfare. Top three params are stable +/- 0.4Alk, 10 Cal and 20 Mag. I still have my doser sitting and collecting dust again due to busy schedule. Unfortunately both my blasto and cristata passed away due to the dragon soul torch. It also stung my OG hammer but is currently recovering. Didn't realized how long indo torch sweepers can get in the middle on the night. Thinking about just placing the torch on a frag rack away from everything else. My black torch on the other hand is much more mellow and doesn't sting my hammers. If I introduce a skimmer, I'm thinking about reducing the light for the chaeto or just have the skimmer run during the day and chaeto at night. A little too early to tell but will consider it once I plan out my gameplan. SPS. All are still alive and some have almost fully encrusted the frag plugs.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back