Panicking a little: High TDS

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dual inlines lack the accuracy of a good handheld, you took a step backwards. I have two dual inlines and don't even turn them on, they never agree with the better handheld which is actually temperature compensated. The handheld is telling you the truth, the inlines are ballpark close.

I'm sure you don't want to cut you inline probes up but if you look at the fatter part of the probe there is a little rectangular hole or cut out in the pastic. Inside that hole, exposed to air, not water, is the temperature probe which does the temperature compensation and correction for the TDS reading. Unless the air temperature and wate temperature are exactly the same the meter can be significantly off, something like 2% for every degree C they differ.

The better handhelds like the HM Digital TDS-3, TDS-4TM, COM-100 and their new AP series are truly temperature compensated since the probe sticks in the water and they have a digital temperature read out too and are extremely accurate. In the case of the COM-100 it reads down to a tenth of a ppm TDS unlike hardly any other hobbyist grade meter.

The inlines also depend on flow past the probe inside the tee, must be rotated in the corrct direction and cannot be used portable so are dedicated to two places, usually RO only and final permeate or RO/DI. To troubleshoot a RO/DI system you need three readings, those two plus the tap water TDS to determine the rejection rate so you need two dual inlines or they now have a three probe model but it still lacks the accuracy of the ATC handhelds. You can't just dip the probe of an inline in a glass of water, it has to be flowing in a laminar pattern past the probe in the right direction. The handheld can be used anywhere including your ATO storage, the LFS water, bottled water, vending machine water, your buddies house etc and is pretty rugged.

No comparison.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a new RO unit? IMO, it sounds like you have one of two problems. Either the lines are hooked up wrong or the RO membrane is not seated properly. Since you mention going over the assembly diagram already I would unscrew the housing that contains the RO membrane and make sure it is in there correctly. Also a quick question. Did you ever allow the RO membrane to dry out? If they dry out then they are ruined.
I did not know that o_O I may have let it dry. I'm not sure.

I'm beginning to think the thing is about a year old...yikes.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dual inlines lack the accuracy of a good handheld, you took a step backwards. I have two dual inlines and don't even turn them on, they never agree with the better handheld which is actually temperature compensated. The handheld is telling you the truth, the inlines are ballpark close.

I'm sure you don't want to cut you inline probes up but if you look at the fatter part of the probe there is a little rectangular hole or cut out in the pastic. Inside that hole, exposed to air, not water, is the temperature probe which does the temperature compensation and correction for the TDS reading. Unless the air temperature and wate temperature are exactly the same the meter can be significantly off, something like 2% for every degree C they differ.

The better handhelds like the HM Digital TDS-3, TDS-4TM, COM-100 and their new AP series are truly temperature compensated since the probe sticks in the water and they have a digital temperature read out too and are extremely accurate. In the case of the COM-100 it reads down to a tenth of a ppm TDS unlike hardly any other hobbyist grade meter.

The inlines also depend on flow past the probe inside the tee, must be rotated in the corrct direction and cannot be used portable so are dedicated to two places, usually RO only and final permeate or RO/DI. To troubleshoot a RO/DI system you need three readings, those two plus the tap water TDS to determine the rejection rate so you need two dual inlines or they now have a three probe model but it still lacks the accuracy of the ATC handhelds. You can't just dip the probe of an inline in a glass of water, it has to be flowing in a laminar pattern past the probe in the right direction. The handheld can be used anywhere including your ATO storage, the LFS water, bottled water, vending machine water, your buddies house etc and is pretty rugged.

No comparison.
HM Digital TDS-EZ Water Quality TDS Tester, 0-9990 ppm Measurement Range , 1 ppm Resolution, +/- 3% Readout Accuracy:Amazon:Home Improvement
This is my tester.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The TDS EZ is another that is not temperature compensated so lacks the accuracy of the TDS-3, TDS-4TM and AP that are normally only $5 more to purchase new.Notice it is 3%=/- accuracy versus the others 2% and it lacks the built in digital thermometer. Better than nothing at all but for $20-$25 you can get one of the others I mentioned or for about $59 get the COM-100 which is 10x more sensitive and accurate down to the tenths.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The TDS EZ is another that is not temperature compensated so lacks the accuracy of the TDS-3, TDS-4TM and AP that are normally only $5 more to purchase new.Notice it is 3%=/- accuracy versus the others 2% and it lacks the built in digital thermometer. Better than nothing at all but for $20-$25 you can get one of the others I mentioned or for about $59 get the COM-100 which is 10x more sensitive and accurate down to the tenths.
Wish I'd known that before I bought it >.< but it sounds like it'll work for now. It's gonna have to.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not know that o_O I may have let it dry. I'm not sure.

I'm beginning to think the thing is about a year old...yikes.

This doesn't help if it ever dried out, but FWIW a membrane might be good for 3 years in a favorable operating environment (normal usage, regular prefiltration replacement). 1 year is not necessarily a stretch at all.

-Matt

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This doesn't help if it ever dried out, but FWIW a membrane might be good for 3 years in a favorable operating environment (normal usage, regular prefiltration replacement). 1 year is not necessarily a stretch at all.

-Matt
It's a stretch when you start with water over 450 TDS.

Anyhow, this thread can be closed. I have a plan of action now :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update - a combo of much better water, a 3-watt uv sterilizer, dr. Tim's waste-away and a better cleaning regimen, plus a feeding reduction, have successfully turned the tide. I can just see the back rockwork now and it makes me very happy. :) I've been doing frequent water changes to remove dead algae and what that releases into the water, as well. With any luck and a little divine intervention it should be ready for my new corals by the time they get here. I'm psyched!

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back