Panta Rhei users

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard of people using epoxy to enclose the magnets. I bet if all else fails you could find some old Tunze magnets, they will work!

corey

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well wanted to know if the outer magnet is safe and well protected so that when I put it in my overflow , it won’t corrode .

I think you missed my point. I've no idea if the hydrowizard external magnet is sealed - my guess would be yes, but that's just a guess. My point was that since the overflow is presumably 1/4" acrylic, you could use just about any reasonable strength, sealed magnet to hold the pump in place. If your overflow is not 1/4' ….. then nevermind.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably would consider the 42 pro. Think the 63 might truly in my fish being pinned up on the far glass!

Buddy of mine has the 42 (not the pro) and I was always a tad underwhelmed. Never seen the 63 in action, but if you've $2K sitting around please do let us know how it is LOL.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the midst of setting up my dream 650! Needless to say I don’t have 2k for a power head! I would pay my kids to stick an oar in the tank in shifts. That would still be cheaper!
Buddy of mine has the 42 (not the pro) and I was always a tad underwhelmed. Never seen the 63 in action, but if you've $2K sitting around please do let us know how it is LOL.

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you missed my point. I've no idea if the hydrowizard external magnet is sealed - my guess would be yes, but that's just a guess. My point was that since the overflow is presumably 1/4" acrylic, you could use just about any reasonable strength, sealed magnet to hold the pump in place. If your overflow is not 1/4' ….. then nevermind.

Oh I see ! The overflow is 3/4 inch thick .. so asking about the panta rhei magnets themselves

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 42 and although I think it's a nice pump, I don't think I going to invest in more of them. The pump is small and provides a nice long flow all the way across my 7' tank if run it by itself. But without upgrading to the pro model you don't get any wave features. I wasn't aware that was the case when I bought mine.

I've since added two RO Octo pulse 4s and have been satisfied with those instead.

Last edited:

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I thought Ecotech Vortechs 40's & 60's were expensive.. They must be incredible - IN YOUR TANKS.

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panta Rheis are a different breed of pumps compared to vortechs and octo pulse 4 and gyres. I have both vortechs and octo pulses and love them for their random broad flow. However , what I see from the panta rheis - they produce narrow stream of laminar flow pattern not found with the other pumps .

So if you have a shallow long reef , it would easily carry water to the other end unlike the vortechs and octo pulses .
The only other pump I know to create similar strong laminar flow pattern are tunze stream 3s which I had but the mounting was so weird that I couldn't use them and they were way larger .

Panta Rheis were first created for biotope specific tanks like say a hillstream loach specific tank which needed striong laminar flow .

If you have large wider tanks, you would need randomized flow pattern like the vortechs produce and couple them with the panta rheis to break the flow even further .

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I thought Ecotech Vortechs 40's & 60's were expensive.. They must be incredible - IN YOUR TANKS.

Well I had the option of spending on lights like G4 pros but I decided to make myself look stupid and buy panta rheis to provide different flow patterns . Why spend on G4 pros when you have ATI ;)

Will see if my theory holds good that flow is more important than light and hence invest in most diverse flow patterns I can provide

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see ! The overflow is 3/4 inch thick .. so asking about the panta rhei magnets themselves

Ah that complicates things LOL. You may have to ask unique corals (I think they still sell these pumps). You could also put one into a ziplock bag (zip side down). I’ve done that and it works pretty well.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah that complicates things LOL. You may have to ask unique corals (I think they still sell these pumps). You could also put one into a ziplock bag (zip side down). I’ve done that and it works pretty well.
Or FoodSaver bags, I did that for a gyre magnet I put in my overflow. Easy to check every so often to see if it's still sealed.

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or FoodSaver bags, I did that for a gyre magnet I put in my overflow. Easy to check every so often to see if it's still sealed.

That’s actually quite an ingenious idea guys . I fact , I can use my sealer that I use for shipping frags , double seal them and then put side a ziplock bag and in the overflow .

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using an ECM-42 (not pro) at the and of an 8 foot frag tray. Works great!

My question is- does anyone have any idea for a sleeve that will fit around it? The openings are a bit big- I lost a very nice little sailfin tang in there.

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking into panta rhei for a 5 ft peninsula...wanted to put pumps only on the short wall, eother 2 on one side (or one on each side 9; and use them to make a pulsing circular flow. I was looking into Vortech a but got scared off because of noise/quality issues. Any panta rhei users think this is a good idea?

MasterBlaster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@
Well I had the option of spending on lights like G4 pros but I decided to make myself look stupid and buy panta rheis to provide different flow patterns . Why spend on G4 pros when you have ATI ;)

Will see if my theory holds good that flow is more important than light and hence invest in most diverse flow patterns I can provide

@Abhishek have you seen clear benefits with laminar flow ? How to you like the ECM 42 ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.9%
Back