Panther Grouper added today!

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lil Panther grouper grew from about 1-1/2” to almost 3” while in QT. I just added him to my display and what a lil show that was. First thing after adding him my Marine Betta came out for a close look. I was like OH NOOO!!! The Betta open his mouth I guess to show dominance but closed it and swam back in his cave.
Then my jerk fish ( Flame Angel) swims out and the Panther Grouper just looked at him opened his mouth and darted at the him. The flame took off and has been hiding for 30 minuets now lol I needed a towel to clean up my tears from laughter from that as that’s the only time I’ve seen what was once the smallest fish in the tank get bullied back by the temporary smallest fish!!!!
He is swimming around and looking for his spot. As of this picture it looks like he is also giving the Flame a eviction notice as this has been his spot for at least the last year lol. Sorry for the poor picture it’s the best I can do as I’m still drying my eyes from laughing so much.

04DC5066-A5C7-45BF-B0CE-4672EE29BC06.jpeg

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect those fish will end up as dinner soon. How big is the tank? very cool fish by the way. Wish I had a tank big enough to keep one .
ps I see now the tank is a 240 ,not bad.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a 240 gallon display with a 90 gallon sump. The Marine Betta is 7” long so it’s going to be a long time before the Panther grows enough to snack on him. The flame well he has bullied so many other fish to death that he better make friends fast lol. Otherwise the Sailfin Tang, Emperor Angel, are all 6” plus and still growing so I think they’ll be fine or I hope. The Cinnamon Clowns are pretty big now and only leave their nem to eat so I think they’ll be fine. Honestly the only one I’m worried about is my Yellow Corris Wrasse he is about 4” long but slender.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for all the blue as my lights are in dusk mode. As you can see our smaller Sailfin Tang is a video bomber! Lol

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panther often grow 2-3 inches per year. Beautiful fish, but that flame angel is probably at risk. I’d like to know how he fares as I am considering some groupers in my 500 gallon (405 display tank 10 feet long) but I am going to have a large group of flame angels in it.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In over 45 yrs keeping SW fish, a Panther Grouper is the only fish (that I remember) with any real, sizable, noticeable growth. It was a cute fish at first, but as it grew, I couldn't wait to get rid of it.
When they get too big and lose their clean, white color, they are no longer 'cute', nor easy to re-home.

Never again for me, but I wish you good luck.

Justsomedude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea my panther grew so fast it’s insane and now he is the jerk of the tank. He won’t allow anyone into the rocks and is increasingly becoming a burden. Every fish is different but this one is hell on wheels. He hasn’t eaten any fish nor are there any small enough for him to do so however I recently added a lion and he doesn’t mess with it for obvious reasons.

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up another one today. This ones only about 1-1/2” cute lil guy. He is in my 9 year olds tank for now.
471F92C1-CE32-4E39-A635-F88FE0C84DD0.jpeg
322BFAAC-BA09-4B85-9EF8-C1217D9694EF.jpeg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Panther Groupers are super-cool fish. If I ever had a very large tank to just keep a single “pet” fish, I think it would be a Panther. :)

OP
OP
Hitman

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two we have so far are just like our dogs. We get anywhere near the tank they are front and center begging for food! Lol so far between the two of them, a Marine Betta, Niger Trigger, and the all the Angels and Tangs we are going through a pound a week in krill. They are some eating machines!!!

Showcasegars

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That flame angel will be on the menu in the future but just keep and eye out great pick up on the grouper !

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 105 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.1%
Back