Panther grouper skin

msgoins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, my panther grouper had a very bad case of ich where I saw it in his gills and all over his body. I treated him with therapeutic level of copper (cupramine) and all was good and he was back swimming. The ich was so bad it seemed to be underneath his skin and his skin was peeling off. For 3 days he would just stay at the bottom just breathing but after all spots are gone he was up and swimming now. Still in the copper he seem to drop off circle like flakes and continue to drop like almost worms out as well. He’s currently still swimming around normally. But his skin that was peeling I thought was healing but now it seems to look worse. I was sure he got a bacterial infection from his skin peeling and treated him with furan-2 and the wounds were getting better. Now it seems to be peeling even more and doesn’t look quite good. Is there anything else I can treat for those wounds.

Addition: He hasn’t been eating and I’ve treated him with General cure because of internal parasites. Also copper (cupramine) and furan-2.
Been like 7 days so far now in qt tank. His normal color is back as Well. Anything else I can do for the wounds?

9A87313A-D3D2-4E1E-85B5-A5E48B6FC258.jpeg 502B9AD1-BAD0-4921-B353-E467B02A3228.jpeg 695D2B13-F307-4EA8-8674-2926FC9ABDBB.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all, my panther grouper had a very bad case of ich where I saw it in his gills and all over his body. I treated him with therapeutic level of copper (cupramine) and all was good and he was back swimming. The ich was so bad it seemed to be underneath his skin and his skin was peeling off. For 3 days he would just stay at the bottom just breathing but after all spots are gone he was up and swimming now. Still in the copper he seem to drop off circle like flakes and continue to drop like almost worms out as well. He’s currently still swimming around normally. But his skin that was peeling I thought was healing but now it seems to look worse. I was sure he got a bacterial infection from his skin peeling and treated him with furan-2 and the wounds were getting better. Now it seems to be peeling even more and doesn’t look quite good. Is there anything else I can treat for those wounds.

Addition: He hasn’t been eating and I’ve treated him with General cure because of internal parasites. Also copper (cupramine) and furan-2.
Been like 7 days so far now in qt tank. His normal color is back as Well. Anything else I can do for the wounds?

9A87313A-D3D2-4E1E-85B5-A5E48B6FC258.jpeg 502B9AD1-BAD0-4921-B353-E467B02A3228.jpeg 695D2B13-F307-4EA8-8674-2926FC9ABDBB.jpeg
I agree - looks like a significant bacterial (possibly systemic) infection

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That much damaged skin make it difficult for a fish to manage its osmotic balance with the water. You should lower the specific gravity gradually, over a day to around 1.018 - that will lessen the stress. However, you also need to manage the infection. How long did you treat with the Furan? It was working, but if you stopped it too soon, the bacteria may have rebounded.

Jay

OP
OP
M

msgoins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for replies. It’s just day two of treating the furan-2 as I didn’t treat with full dose as I need to get more today. I will start lowering the specific gravity as well.

OP
OP
M

msgoins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That much damaged skin make it difficult for a fish to manage its osmotic balance with the water. You should lower the specific gravity gradually, over a day to around 1.018 - that will lessen the stress. However, you also need to manage the infection. How long did you treat with the Furan? It was working, but if you stopped it too soon, the bacteria may have rebounded.

Jay
Thanks for replies. It’s just day two of treating the furan-2 as I didn’t treat with full dose as I need to get more today. I will start lowering the specific gravity as well.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could use - Kanaplex, Neoplex, Maracyn - probably in that order. depending on what you can get

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back