PAR Estimate Question

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure some can tolerate that level but everything else in the tank gets fried unless of course you are pursuing a certain type of high par coral only tank system or have a large deep tank.
Actually, no. Tanks have depth, and the PAR level drops rapidly down the water column.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, no. Tanks have depth, and the PAR level drops rapidly down the water column.
Well of course and the depth dictates what par level you need at the light source. Frag tanks require different par versus a 26 inch deep cube.

It's common knowledge that mixed reef tanks are the most difficult for par setting purposes.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well of course and the depth dictates what par level you need at the light source. Frag tanks require different par versus a 26 inch deep cube.

It's common knowledge that mixed reef tanks are the most difficult for par setting purposes.
It's a general believe. Yes.

But If you think about it carefully, it's gonna be much harder to maintain a deep-ish tank with all "high light acros" than a mixed reef with the same tank. The depth naturally presents a range of light conditions for different corals.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a general believe. Yes.

But If you think about it carefully, it's gonna be much harder to maintain a deep-ish tank with all "high light acros" than a mixed reef with the same tank. The depth naturally presents a range of light conditions for different corals.
Yes, I agree that would be difficult to sustain as well although there are quite a few SPS that will do ok in the 200 to 250 par range so you're not limited to high light acros for the bottom.

OP
OP
N

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, great information!

The light is 14" above the water. It's a RB V2+48, BRS recommended 16" for spread, but I haven't bothered to raise it 2 more inches.

I downloaded Photone last night and will give it a try today!

OP
OP
N

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The numbers are way different depending on the app used. All reading taken at the same location and this is what I see.

Luxmeter: 52000
Light Meter: 22000
Photone (Beta) 17000

Hmmmmm

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 77 79.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.2%
Back