PAR levels on Zoas?

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefing community, I have a general question I hope I can get answers on. How much or do you keep your Zoas in? I’m a beginner and I’m about to start cycling soon. There’s a frag swap in my city next year April where I hope I can attend and buy a few Zoas for my tank. I plan on getting a par meter once I get close to that month in order to tune my AI Prime 16 HD. I plan on keeping mainly lps and a few Zoas. So what PAR levels are your Zoas kept in ? Any recommendations on Zoas species ? Thank you!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefing community, I have a general question I hope I can get answers on. How much or do you keep your Zoas in? I’m a beginner and I’m about to start cycling soon. There’s a frag swap in my city next year April where I hope I can attend and buy a few Zoas for my tank. I plan on getting a par meter once I get close to that month in order to tune my AI Prime 16 HD. I plan on keeping mainly lps and a few Zoas. So what PAR levels are your Zoas kept in ? Any recommendations on Zoas species ? Thank you!
Hi! Your light will be perfect for zoas. I run two of the AI Prime HDs over a 20 peninsula and my zoas are doing perfect. Here’s my lighting schedule, although I do recommend that you lower the red to 15% or below.
9B49D032-A618-48DD-973D-A9234C664C19.png

If you’re a first time zoa keeper and you’re looking for a couple of cheaper varieties that you won’t hate down the road I like utter chaos, Gobstoppers, scrambled egg, mandarin orange, rainbow infusions, and pink zippers. They all do well in a variety of light, flow, and peram ranges and most hobbyists sell a 3ish polyp frag for $20 or less. Zoas do prefer a “dirtier” tank with higher nutrient levels so keep that in mind! They’re pretty hardy and low maintenance corals that spread at a fast but controllable rate (for the most part) so if you’re looking to frag and sell yourself they are a good starter coral. Zoas can touch each other and palys with no issues and you can create a zoa garden! I do recommend that you place them on a rock that is removable or on a flat surface (glass, frag tiles, whatever) so you can control their spread easily. Here’s a sample of my collection! If you’re interested in the name of any of them please just circle and I can ID for you! I prefer growing them directly on my glass bottom :)
F629E37E-02FF-4EDA-B2B4-DDD6CCBBA793.jpeg
397B14EB-511D-42CF-BC74-ECD457FC3176.jpeg
E904C816-5C01-43D6-BB32-EDABFE7DC782.jpeg

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Your light will be perfect for zoas. I run two of the AI Prime HDs over a 20 peninsula and my zoas are doing perfect. Here’s my lighting schedule, although I do recommend that you lower the red to 15% or below.
9B49D032-A618-48DD-973D-A9234C664C19.png

If you’re a first time zoa keeper and you’re looking for a couple of cheaper varieties that you won’t hate down the road I like utter chaos, Gobstoppers, scrambled egg, mandarin orange, rainbow infusions, and pink zippers. They all do well in a variety of light, flow, and peram ranges and most hobbyists sell a 3ish polyp frag for $20 or less. Zoas do prefer a “dirtier” tank with higher nutrient levels so keep that in mind! They’re pretty hardy and low maintenance corals that spread at a fast but controllable rate (for the most part) so if you’re looking to frag and sell yourself they are a good starter coral. Zoas can touch each other and palys with no issues and you can create a zoa garden! I do recommend that you place them on a rock that is removable or on a flat surface (glass, frag tiles, whatever) so you can control their spread easily. Here’s a sample of my collection! If you’re interested in the name of any of them please just circle and I can ID for you! I prefer growing them directly on my glass bottom :)
F629E37E-02FF-4EDA-B2B4-DDD6CCBBA793.jpeg
397B14EB-511D-42CF-BC74-ECD457FC3176.jpeg
E904C816-5C01-43D6-BB32-EDABFE7DC782.jpeg
Wow amazing information! Yes I have my whole tank set up and actually I’m planning on starting a builder thread later on today! I created an aqua scape that has enough space to where I can make a few islands of various sizes with out them being connected or glued to any bigger pieces. Which Murrieta do they prefer to be higher than usual? I believe I saw on a different thread that they lik slightly higher nitrates and phosphates if I’m not mistaken. And yes I plan on getting a frag tank later on in the future to trade and maintain a not overgrown zoa island which I would love to have. Do you have any issues with the fan being louder than usual l on the prime?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow amazing information! Yes I have my whole tank set up and actually I’m planning on starting a builder thread later on today! I created an aqua scape that has enough space to where I can make a few islands of various sizes with out them being connected or glued to any bigger pieces. Which Murrieta do they prefer to be higher than usual? I believe I saw on a different thread that they lik slightly higher nitrates and phosphates if I’m not mistaken. And yes I plan on getting a frag tank later on in the future to trade and maintain a not overgrown zoa island which I would love to have. Do you have any issues with the fan being louder than usual l on the prime?
If the fan is loud, get some compressed air (they sell it for cleaning computer parts) and clean it out. A whole bunch of dirt and dust will come out then the fan will run way quieter. Your plan sounds great!

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fan is loud, get some compressed air (they sell it for cleaning computer parts) and clean it out. A whole bunch of dirt and dust will come out then the fan will run way quieter. Your plan sounds great!
Yeah I have one at home, my fan is new , not sure why it’s making that noise but it probably has some loose dust from the dry rock. And how high do you have your light mounted? I have mine about 10 inches from the surface

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have one at home, my fan is new , not sure why it’s making that noise but it probably has some loose dust from the dry rock. And how high do you have your light mounted? I have mine about 10 inches from the surface
I use the regular AI Prime mounts. I have a flex arm and the rigid arm. They’re exactly one disposable water bottle off the rim of the tank, sorry I don’t have a ruler
EF0C9ECA-AAF7-4B92-B9D3-A96DED4E3E9D.jpeg

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another nod for the AI prime.

Different Zoas and Palys have different light ranges. Bam bams and radioactive dragon eyes are examples of zoas that prefer stronger light. Bams especially are light lovers which makes sense being they are orange in color thereby absorbing blue light. Gobstopper and most larger palys have a wide range of lighting. Zoas and palys will start reaching for light if its not strong enough. However, ultra low nutrient levels can cause them to also stretch.

For a beginner I would stick to larger palys like gobstoppers, nirvanas, etc. Bam bams are also extremely hardy.

OP
OP
Angel_V_the_reefer

Angel_V_the_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
Another nod for the AI prime.

Different Zoas and Palys have different light ranges. Bam bams and radioactive dragon eyes are examples of zoas that prefer stronger light. Bams especially are light lovers which makes sense being they are orange in color thereby absorbing blue light. Gobstopper and most larger palys have a wide range of lighting. Zoas and palys will start reaching for light if its not strong enough. However, ultra low nutrient levels can cause them to also stretch.

For a beginner I would stick to larger palys like gobstoppers, nirvanas, etc. Bam bams are also extremely hardy.
kay I will take that into consideration! What ranges would you put Zoas in par?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back